Parrot hands free - how to fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parrot hands free - how to fit?

I've bought a Parrot CK1300 LCD ... a bluetooth handsfree kit.

But the instructions in the kit are rubbish and sketchy.

How it fits depends on the type of stereo fitted... in my case a 3 year old Sony CD/tuner with aux and ipod and USB inputs.

I imagine you pull out the stereo and the Parrot basically plugs in inbetween the stereo and the speakers... so it can mute music to the speakers and use them for the phone.

Anyone seen a good step by step guide?

P
    SOLD !

Any use??

http://www.parrot.com/blog/wp-conten...tion_guide.pdf

From the looks of the set up it mutes the cd/radio/ipod and uses the drivers side speaker for calls so you just connect the right front speaker output from the stereo to the parrot and the stereo mute cable.....................I may be wrong..........its late.................... and i've had a drink..................:mischeif:

If you knew all this already..............i'll get my coat.....

Comment

Erm... right well an update.

STILL after some help tho'...

The Parrot ISO (block connectors) are simple..they just plug in betweent he car's wiring and the back of the stereo... BUT BUT BUT

Anyone have a clue where best to get power from Pls?? The Parrot instructions say ""The RED cable needs to be connected to a constant 12 volt supply and the ORANGE wire needs to be connected to the switched 12 volt supply (Ignition ON/OFF)""

Do I need to run a cable from the cig lighter for switched and then from the fusebox for pernanent power? Where in teh fusebox??

P
      SOLD !

Comment

find a permenant live and ignition live on the steering column or back of radio and go from there. id use the column ones.

Comment

The stereo will already have a permanent live, so that should be that one sorted, does your stereo stay on with the key out?

Le Mans 2012
          Nurburgring 700
          1995 S2 Avant

Comment

On the parrot the 12v permanent and switched feeds are taken from the ISO plugs. The mention of the two supply colours in the instruction is because some cars have the permanent and switched feeds reversed. The fix that you just swap the fuse holders over.

If your radio turns off when you take the keys out you already have the correct wiring in place. You may need to reverse the two fuse holders if your wiring doesn't match the parrot.

Can you take a photo of the ISO plugs in your car. That way we can see what wires you have and what, if anything else you need. I am currently part way through fitting a parrot kit in the V8 so have all the bits as reference.

Ben
            the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
            1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Thanks ...

1- my stereo stays on when key removed from ignition

2- basically the parrot's red and orange wires go into the parrot ISO block. But when you plug that into the power feed ISO block from the car, the corresponding slots don't have any wire going into them. So it seems the Parrot' s power is just plugging into EMPTY ISO slots.

3- photos to follow...but not til tonight
              SOLD !

Comment

Your going to need a switched live for the parrot kit. Personally I would go the whole hog and put it to the radio so it turns off with the keys out but that is a personal preference.

On the parrot ISO loom either the red or orange wire should match up to the live feed on the radio ISO. If you can take a picture of the ISO plug in the car I'll take a look later if I get a chance (it may be tomorrow as I've not seen the better half since Friday and she isn't going to want me to sit on the computer when I get home)

Ben

sigpic

Comment

The perfect live switched feed to go for is on the back of the ignition switch, its the small red wire and it is live when the key is in and turned on, and stays live until you take the key physically out the ignition.

However, if your radio has a permanent live then you will have to do one of two things.

1. Your radio will have the Red and Yellow wires going into it joined together, the permanent live keeps the setting healthy and the switched lets you turn it on, by linking these it just lets you use it whenever you like... So if you like to be able to use the radio with no keys in then you will have to splice in the switched power from behind the ignition sw. and connect it up to the switched live for the parrot. Your parrot will turn off when the key is out and radio will work as it does now.

2. Do as above, but splice in at BOTH ends, i.e. a scotch lock or similar behind the ignition and in the radio loom, then connect red to red and yellow to yellow going into the radio. You will see fairly easily what i mean as most radios come with wiring that has the functionality to allow them to work on cars with no switched power. Doing it this way will let you have the parrot and stereo turn on when you turn the key, and off when you remove the key.

hope that sort of helps!

Le Mans 2012
                  Nurburgring 700
                  1995 S2 Avant

Comment

Well I'm almost there thanks to all... Attached is a crude wiring diagram ... the top part shows the connectiosn from the car to the stereo as they were BEFORE

The bottom part shows how the Parrot goes in the middle

I can see that the stereo's RED and ORANGE cbles are joined..hence the stereo gets power with or without the key in ignition.

Presumably all I have to do is connect the Parrot's ORANGE cable labelled "12v ignition" to the red cable behind the ignition switch and I should be away???

A few things I don't really understand still...

1- what's the BROWN and GREY cable coming out of the car wiring harness that is not connected to anything? (top cable in diagram) COULD it be a 12v switched power?

2- as the Parrot is connected to the 12v battery power NOW..who doesn't it just work now ? Or does it need the 12v switched power as well?

Phil
                    Attached Files
                    SOLD !

Comment

As standard your car won't have a switched feed to the radio. The brown white will be gala or illumination or an earth.

The parrot won't work at the moment as it requires both switched and permanent feeds. You can use the red cable behind the ignition switch to provide the switched feed.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

I also have a parrot in the car.

Sound: goes inbetween wiring and radio as you found out.
                        Voltage: I put it also on my radio.
                        Live + & - is no problem, available from the cars loom.
                        The switched 12V I took from the lighting of switches above the radio. This is switched on and off with the ignition key.

Radio & Parrot use the switching wire only as an on/off switch, so no power consumption.
                        Works fine for me for the last 15 years..

Good luck
                        No power, no glory!
                        S4 Avant, 2003, K&N-filter, 18", RNS-E, enough audio

Comment

Grrrr... OK so :

1- ATTEMPT ONE: switched live taken from red cable behind the ignition switch... I went under the dash and the ignition switch has about FIVE red cables out... are they all the same..how do I know which one to use..does it matter? Also they are all wrapped straight into black-taped loom.

2- ATTEMPT TWO - taking ignition switched feed from the backlights on the buttons above the radio (ie: heated rear screen or fog lamps controls). This should work as stated in earrlier mssg, as these indeed come on and off with the ignition.. BUT each switch has several cables. I've attached to the ones going into the little bulbs.. and NOTHING. No power to the parrot...or at least the LED display is not coming on.

This parrot is deceased.. well not powered up anyway.

Gawd..this should be so eady
                          SOLD !

Comment

on option 2.
                            Maybe dum question but did you check if you used a lead that does have power? Simply by using a multi meter or a lamp??
                            I mostly use a simple old indicator lamp with a long double wire.
                            Hook one side to ground, check for juice on a surtain point using the other wire.

No use in "just hooking a wire to an other"

I used only switched + from the buttons. The rest is from the loom behind the radio
                            No power, no glory!
                            S4 Avant, 2003, K&N-filter, 18", RNS-E, enough audio

Comment

You need to find the correct wire as Carlo says. The power supply to the lamps in the switches is different. Some are fed from the ignition and some from the lighting circuit.

On the ignition swith the red wire you need is the very thin one. There is one red wire that is much thinner than the other red wires.

As a temporary test of the parrot you could attach both the red and orange to the permanent live for the radio. That should power the parrot up. Obviously you can't fit it attached like this as it may drain your battery but it would allow you to check if it actually works.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X