Ipod / Iphone ICE query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ipod / Iphone ICE query

I want to use my iphone as the audio player in the S2 and have got rid of the CD head unit.

My plan is to use a 4 channel amp to power two speakers and tweeters in the front and two speakers and tweeters in the back and plug the iphone directly in to it.

Can someone that has more knowledge in ICE tell me if this is a reasonable idea or if the sound quality would be compromised with out going through a head unit first?

I dont use cds anymore and have all my music on vinyl and MP3, thats why i thought this would be a good solution.

Thanks.....

P.s. feel free to suggest a good amp that would deliver good sound quality. Im not after loads of power so dont need to go down the thousands of watt route, i also havent picked my speakers yet but am looking through the ICE guides on here to pick out some ideas.
    91 S2 coupé - RIP
    98 S8 - Luxury barge

Hello it is possible and a good idea. You cAn buy the cables
    from amp to iPod. You will get as good a sound as your speakers and amp will provide. Alpine speakers are
    good but don't go any lower than the type "S" range . Type "r" is better still. These will give you good acoustic and bass. Infinity are also good. Buy a 500- 600 watt amp at minimum for these. Good luck with your search

Comment

Thank you!
      91 S2 coupé - RIP
      98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

If its any interest, you can get an Alpine headunit that has no cd transport, just a tuner and ipod/iphone input!

Comment

Thanks, I think i want to keep it simple and count out the head unit completely.

This amp looks like it might be a good candidate.
          91 S2 coupé - RIP
          98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Or you could keep what you have now and Add the ipod/iphone extra

http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/...ace/ex-10.html
            Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
            S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

Yeah I've got a Alpine ida-x001 it's brilliant,I was told it was the only one that charges the iPhone which it does(comes in handy when camping) It's no Cd just iPod/iPhone and you go through the albums just like you do on the iPod/iPhone so very easy to find the songs you want. It has three outputs on the back one for a sub and other two are for amps. The sound is very good and it was worth every penny I'd have another anyday. I've had alpine headunits in all my cars and wouldn't have anything else TBH.
              Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

I've thought about doing this as well... that head unit space is perfect location for a Zt-2... I kind of lost the focus to do it with water ingress for so long, plus other priorities.

All I need in the car is some decent speakers, a reasonable amp, an ipod/phone hookup (at line level) and a volume knob... No frills.
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I have an older alpine head unit ( dont remember which one as its late and raining outside!!) with ipod connector, had to buy this: http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TS696LL/A
                  to allow the iphone to be charged (ipod connector originally, different pins used for charging ipod & iphone apparently...) all it does is tell me on the phone that the device is not configured to work with the iphone and if i want phone on or airplane mode- but works perfectly and all the controls work on the head unit to control it. It will even play music videos (sound only!!)
                  I converted the songs on the iphone 16g to lossless, far better quality
                  Oh and very useful when you set up genius for playlists if on a long drive
                  HTH

Comment

I think its a great idea but would really suggest you use the line output on the iphone and not the earphone. the quality is less (due to the internal amp) and obviously subject to volume change.... if you use a dock connector then you can charge at the same time too. there is an article somewhere on the internerd with how to mount a dock connector, i'm thinking you could make a fiberglas/carbon shroud/dock with your iphone connector in it. i'd also have thought you'd have wanted volume control so something funky there like a rotary encoder and little display!? i keep trying to suggest my mate builds some custom dock for the arm rest cubby (its an a6) and interfaces with his head unit.

good luck

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions,

I have come up with a couple of options.
                      The main problem is that the doc output volume cant be controlled from the iphone as the audio signal is taken prior to the volume control and is therefore always on max volume.
                      I have a JL 4300 Amplifier but if i connect the dock up to that i will have no way to controll the volume.

So there is a couple of options. I could use one of these to control the volume after the doc and before it hits the amp.
                      But i think this would be a bit lame and the volume control on that cable is a bit privative.

The JL E4300 has RCA inputs but it also has 4 separate channel high level inputs for when used with older equipment like head units that dont have aux outputs. This input lets you plug the normal speaker outputs in to the amp.
                      So im going to use a small amp as a pre amp, this is the unit i have here until i can come up with a better solution.
                      This will give me a volume control and the JL amp will output to the 4 crossovers.

If it sounds rubbish then ill just order a head unit.
                      91 S2 coupé - RIP
                      98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

You will never get amazing quality sound from an Ipod/iphone anyway as the signal is so compressed, So don't go overboard on speakers etc, It will work and sound ok but if your looking for something to sound really good you can't use MP3/AAC as a source.
                        URQ 20vt converted
                        80 quattro saloon with on going a V8 transplant

Comment

Originally posted by Gazjen View Post
                          You will never get amazing quality sound from an Ipod/iphone anyway as the signal is so compressed, So don't go overboard on speakers etc, It will work and sound ok but if your looking for something to sound really good you can't use MP3/AAC as a source.
                          True if you use standard settings in iTunes but if you're prepared to use more storage space you can set for "Apple lossless" and get great quality. Just don't go for the standard settings. Same goes for MP3 but not quite as good.

John

Comment

I ended up buying the Alpine IDA-X305S.
                            Delivery from China to France only took 2 days.
                            Ill plug in a 2.5" HDD and my iphone as this can utilise two USB inputs.

It was not going to be easy to control the volume coming from the Iphone doc on its way to the amp. Thats why i opted for this option.

The Alipine unit looks good but im not impressed with the build quality. The removable front has a tacky feel for it. I hope the Audio output quality and device userbility makes up for it.
                            91 S2 coupé - RIP
                            98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Erm I don't know if they have farmed out production but Alpine stereos were made in Japan not China

Are you sure its a genuine unit?
                              URQ 20vt converted
                              80 quattro saloon with on going a V8 transplant

Comment

Working...
                              X