Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avant Speaker advice - std upgrade

Need some advice...

I have standard speakers in the avant, with a kenwood iPhone head unit. I am looking for a speaker upgrade that will make it somewhat comparable to the S3s Bose but at the same time I don't want to mess around with amps and re wiring etc. I know it will never be as good as the Bose without doing amps etc, but I really do not have the inclination to go that route.

So basically, what are the best speakers for the avant in stock locations with no mods to the doorcards etc? I may consider putting a small sub in the spare wheel.

Also, if you have a link that would be great!

Cheers

Le Mans 2012
    Nurburgring 700
    1995 S2 Avant

im also interested in this, i had even thought about oem speakers from newer vag stuff as they have half decent sound to them but again its probably all powered by amps. look forward to hearing peoples ideas

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37915

Have a look what i did.

This used JBL GTO (decent for a cheap speaker) in the dash and rear doors driven by an amp with high pass filters.

Works well and very discreet
      sigpic
      "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
      BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
      1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
      2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Originally posted by rj scotty View Post
        http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37915

Have a look what i did.

This used JBL GTO (decent for a cheap speaker) in the dash and rear doors driven by an amp with high pass filters.

Works well and very discreet
        Cheers, but really cannot be arsed with amps and filters etc!

Le Mans 2012
        Nurburgring 700
        1995 S2 Avant

Comment

:mischeif::mischeif:for 500 pounds i recon you could get quite a nice sounding one..

Comment

Ok, back to this now as the car is 'nearly' back on the road (excited.com!)

So can anyone tell me the size of the rear tweeters? (The car is not here right now)

Am I right in thinking I can get a set of 4" for the front and 6 1/2" for the rear, the rears also have tweeters? I was going to go order some MB Quart's but any suggestions as to which ones?

Cheers

Le Mans 2012
            Nurburgring 700
            1995 S2 Avant

Comment

I put Alpine Type-R's in mine and they sound brilliant, the tweeter fit straight in so I think it was 1".
              Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

I had alpine type s stuff, next one down from type r stuff and they were really good. May put em in the audi seeing as they aren't in anything ATM. I heard type r stuff needed to be amped. If you have a decent alpine head unit they have an amp for this already within. I know head units have in built amps but the alpine system is different as it involves slightly additional wiring on head unit installation.

Comment

I'm running them off a Alpine iDA-X001 head unit and a JBL amp so they sound amazing. Alpine is awesome gear and have had it in my last 4 cars, I run Type-R components up front inch Mk2 gold with 6x9 Type-R's and a Type-R sub all off a Alpine CDA-9847R head unit with iPod adaptor. One of the best sounding system ever.
                  Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

Very nice. I used to run in my old beetle a Sony iPod headunit along with 2 sets of alpine type s components, a set of 8 inch Polk mono bass speakers and a 12 inch alpine type s sub powered off an alpine 4 channel amp and a 4 channel jbl amp. Best bass and clarity I have ever had. With that car now off the road I have had thoughts of sorting out the audi with some of it but need to hide the amps and such.

Comment

first of all, get the "high end" speaker covers, that let much more sound trough them.

this is what i have now - rainbow 210.25 10cm + tw.

Audi Quattro WR

Comment

Where to get those speaker covers? thanks.

Comment

scrapyards in italy
                          Audi Quattro WR

Comment

Working...
                          X