Correct Radio Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Radio Wiring

I've consistently had very poor radio reception when using an Alpine DVA-9861Ri.
    Having browsed the relevant threads on the forum, I realised I may have wired up the crucial white cable incorrectly.

I've attached the wiring page from the Alpine manual for reference. I had originally connected the car's white cable to the blue Alpine cable, power antenna. This gave me reception on just the strongest FM radio stations, no MW and no LW. It also didn't track the FM stations very well when driving.

I've since re-wired the white cable to the ignition power feed, thinking the blue may have only given a pulse of voltage to activate a power aerial, rather than the permanent 12v the radio amplifier would clearly require.

Anyway, white to red gives me zero stations. Something's clearly wrong. Which is the correct connection? Is the amp/booster in the aerial dead? Which is the right ebay in line booster to add (leaving the bee sting in place) to fit in behind the radio and get everything up and running? Should I then wire that in line booster to the red cable, ignition +12v?

Thanks again for any advice, much appreciated.
    Attached Files
    RS2+ (now sold...)

I'm not 100% sure but "power antenna" blue lead, powers the electric motor to raise/lower the mast, as the radio (head unit) is switched on or off ?? this would not be needed if you have a bee sting aerial. It could be an internal fault with the head unit, but in my experience poor radio reception is usually caused by a corroded connection or damaged coaxial cable
    Audi S2 Coupe 1995
    VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
    VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
    Carrera Subway 8

Comment

Interesting theory, i too have crappy radio reception on mine. I also wired mine up to the blue antenna feed assuming it was a constant power feed, never tested it with a meter to confirm.
      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

The white cable should be coming directly from the aerial booster

Out of interest, what other wires do you have ?

I'm expecting you should have

red / blue - this goes to the instruments (clock) and fuse 4
        brown - earth
        grey / blue - instruments for background lighting

I'd suggest connecting it to the yellow feed (12v)

The Audi doesn't supply a switched ignition feed to the stereo which is what your red cable is looking for
        Last edited by Mikes2; 19 September 2011, 23:16. Reason: additional notes
        Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes2 View Post
          The white cable should be coming directly from the aerial booster

Out of interest, what other wires do you have ?

I'm expecting you should have

red / blue - this goes to the instruments (clock) and fuse 4
          brown - earth
          grey / blue - instruments for background lighting

I'd suggest connecting it to the yellow feed (12v)

The Audi doesn't supply a switched ignition feed to the stereo which is what your red cable is looking for
          Thanks for your input. I'm not sure about wiring it in to the yellow as it will be permanently on, which may reduce it's life (assuming it's not dead already) and perhaps drain on the battery.

I have an ignition +12v from the initial installation so that 'should' in theory be fine.
          I can only imagine that it's simply not working at the moment. I've got it booked in with the local radio shop for a tweak so hopefully they will be able to solve.
          I will update when I know more.
          RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

OK, I had wired it up correctly first time around. Blue cable from the Alpine to the white cable from the car's audio cable bundle. I've got a dead booster in the bee sting aerial.

There were evident water marks inside it and it was corroded. Easily fixed and new one on order. Fingers crossed that will be all!
            RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Originally posted by benntenn67 View Post
              In my experience poor radio reception is usually caused by a corroded connection or damaged coaxial cable
              Originally posted by Lloyd View Post
              OK, I've got a dead booster in the bee sting aerial.

There were evident water marks inside it and it was corroded. Easily fixed and new one on order. Fingers crossed that will be all!

Audi S2 Coupe 1995
              VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
              VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
              Carrera Subway 8

Comment

Working...
              X