C4 Radio Cage Differences and why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C4 Radio Cage Differences and why

There are two styles of radio cages for the C4 UrS (and 100s and A6s). One has a 190 mm wide aperture for a normal width DIN head unit, like the BOSE Gamma. This leaves space on either side for the mirror control switch and the cigarette lighter. The other one has a 220 mm wide aperture for a head unit with a DIN chassis but a wider face plate like the Delta radio in the 95.5 and up UrS6 and the 96 and up A6s.

Here are the PNs:

Here is what the narrow 4A0857007E cage looks like empty:

Here what the same cage looks like full, in this case with the automatic climate control head and a Gamma BOSE (Std. DIN chassis, std. DIN faceplate) in a 93 UrS4 (with aftermarket "CF" trim on climate control surround and ashtray):

Here is what a wide aperture 4A0857007D (LHD) cage looks like empty:

Here is an example of a wider face plate head unit, in this case one of the clearout Delta BOSE headunits from the 95.5 (96 Model Year) and newer C4 UrS6s and A6s. Note: the radio chassis is still the 180 mm DIN standard width; it is only the faceplate that is 220 mm.

Here is what the wider 4A0857007D radio cage looks like loaded with the vents, the switches, the wider radio (in this case, a Delta BOSE) and the climate control system headunit (my 98 C4 A6q avant but UrS6 (LHD) would look much the same):

The wider cage allows the potential to upgrade to the single height Concert and Concert II headunits.

Info regarding OE Audi Radios is available HERE
    Last edited by UrS4boy; 17 May 2012, 18:54.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

This post needs to be made a locked thread sticky as it explains the situation perfectly.

The same situation applies to the B4 centre console chassis cages as well. The narrower radio DIN size in the up to 96 S2 RS2 and the bigger wider cage being in the later model Cabrios which were fitted with a Delta.

Mods you can delete this post from the sticky.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
      The same situation applies to the B4 centre console chassis cages as well. The narrower radio DIN size in the up to 96 S2 RS2 and the bigger wider cage being in the later model Cabrios which were fitted with a Delta.
      I was curious and checked to see if the C4 radio cage crossed to the B4 (hey, it might!). Obviously, no such luck.

In the world of B3s and B4s, it is called a "bracket for center air vent, switches, radio and fresh air and heater controls". There are four variations on that theme:

8A1857007C = LHD 190 mm radio aperture

8A1857007H = LHD 213 mm radio aperture (don't ask me why 213, not 220)

8A2857007B = RHD 190 mm radio aperture

8A2857007C = RHD 213 mm radio aperture (don't ask me why 213, not 220)

Hope that helps somebody, sometime.
      RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
        I was curious and checked to see if the C4 radio cage crossed to the B4 (hey, it might!). Obviously, no such luck.

In the world of B3s and B4s, it is called a "bracket for center air vent, switches, radio and fresh air and heater controls". There are four variations on that theme:

8A1857007C = LHD 190 mm radio aperture

8A1857007H = LHD 213 mm radio aperture (don't ask me why 213, not 220)

8A2857007B = RHD 190 mm radio aperture

8A2857007C = RHD 213 mm radio aperture (don't ask me why 213, not 220)

Hope that helps somebody, sometime.
        The reason for the 213mm opening it's due to a dedicated radio for the B4s.
        To be more precise the unit was dedicated to the last Cabriolets typ8G produced.
        I remember when me and Tom Saltinot had a look on a fantastic looking cabriolet in the Audi Tradition depot some years ago.

The Cabbie had a Concert unit fitted and by seeing this I made my upgrade on the RS2 for the Concert 2 unit.

The chances of finding a Concert with the 213mm size it's very scarse, almost impossible.

But you can easily fit on a B4 with the Cabriolet dedicated bracket a Concert 2.
        You need to trim the front of the unit to 213 mm, there's space on the front panel for this "trimming" anyway.
        Here where the procedure it's explaned:
        http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...81&postcount=2

Stefano
        http://www.audisportclub.com/

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/vbgoogl...227295&zoom=16

Comment

indeed, b4 has 2 different one as well
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X