Screen/Double din fitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen/Double din fitment

Seen the topped thread, looks good, but has anyone fitted a screen or double din in the center dash without climate control? Would be good to see some pictures

Heres my thinking so far...

Need to find a couple of mm for the switches.

The heater dials are pretty much the same size as the opening for the grills at the top, just from my brief look it would need the rods lengthening.

Originally posted by philj View Post
    Seen the topped thread, looks good, but has anyone fitted a screen or double din in the center dash without climate control? Would be good to see some pictures

Heres my thinking so far...

Need to find a couple of mm for the switches.

The heater dials are pretty much the same size as the opening for the grills at the top, just from my brief look it would need the rods lengthening.
    I am planning to do the same thing but had a different approach I was thinking an have measured to make sure it fits you could relocate the switches to next to the diff lock.
    Like this

Might be a tight fit but my plan was to relocate the switches leave everything else where it belongs and probably trim a couple of mil off the heater controls with a dremel not got my screen yet to check but I think it will work . . . Or at least it does in my head lol.

EDIT
    Apparently the double din standard is 180mm x 100mm so here are a couple of pics.

Looks to me like a small bit of sanding and it could work although it might be a bit tight. Or the switches could be relocated to under the dash on the drivers side not so convenient but I am sure I have seen that done on an rs2 before?

EDIT X2
    Also found this sort of like a proof of concept of sorts
    Last edited by FeaRThiS; 17 July 2012, 19:22.

Comment

someone did it on detailing world if i remember right, think it was a black rs2 possibly saloon..

Comment

Was tempted to move the switches, but its one of those jobs that's a bit of a paint to get right. I was thinking of putting them to the left of the steering wheel.

I also wanted the screen where the heater dials were for ultra lazyness, ie using the gearstick as an arm rest while using the screen.

Moving the heater controls up shouldn't be an issue at all, just sorting out the gauges and switches is going to be a real pain to get neat. Might just be a better option to chuck them somewhere else as above and leave the heaters alone.

Comment

pocket underneath the steering wheel - been done before

Comment

Why do that much work? Check the ice stickies the best way is to remove the ashtray and shift the aircon / heater unit down

Comment

An old topic, but will show how I did it.

The source I took the WD TV. Threw out the case and extended the receiver.

The video signal goes to the monitor, the audio to the head unit AUX.

Mounted on the base plate of the monitor

And

The sound from the analog output of the WD TV is awful, but the video is normal. It is much better to use a Alpine Multimedia Manager and take the signal from the optical output.
              sigpic

Comment

just fitted a meos single din with 7" widescreen

its cheap but seems to work well. I can feed in the pc for vems visual and do all the other things I want with it too.

170 quid done.

Comment

Thats how I did mine. Ill take a look for better pics!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X