rear speakers not working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear speakers not working?

i recently changed my interior over. the rear quarter speakers had been thrown in by previous owner. i removed them and just plugged the originals back in that came with new quarter cards.
    i noticed they weren't working. i took the head unit out and the iso plug is good. so i took the cards off and the speakers are plugged in. the little tweeter next to parcel shelf stops working if i to plug the wires.
    also i have noticed there is a red iso plug behind the stereo. is this something to do with the speakers.

meant to say. the old speakers were retro fit jobs. the wires had been spliced in to rear of stereo and run new wires round to speakers. i just thought id return it to factory as Im not into really loud music in the car.

Comment

Red plug is for autocheck to display OE radio frequency if there's no active warnings.
      Wire between speaker cone and speaker connectors (or amplifier board in case of amplified speakers) tend to break very often (they all are at least 16 years old ). If you are familiar with multimeter, you can check if there's power to the speakers or check speakers themselves by connecting into another car who got the same type (amplified on non amplified) speakers.

Comment

I've read that the red wires are for rear speaker amp and you can use auto leads connector pc9 401 is that right

Comment

i think the problem may be that the audi rear speakers have a power feed as the rear one are amplified.
          the rear speakers have 3 conditions the look from front of car. a connector with brown wire some sort of bridge .
          finally the other 2 spade one going to little tweeter near shelf.
          those work fine.
          if this is the case how do i get power to amplified rear speakers?
          if it helps its a Sony stereo

Comment

I've spent an hour in the cold looking into this. i plugged a good speaker in using some speaker wire from the 3 pin terminal and it came on. the 2 pin one didn't do anything. however the 2 pin one is the tweeter so i assume it piggy backs off larger speaker. anyone got any thoughts?

Comment

well i have tried using some speaker wire from my home stereo direct to the speaker i removed from the door card.
              Nowt not even a crackle.
              would that suggest both speakers are bust.? could that happen they look okay? if i had another known good speaker it would be an easy test.

Comment

well rigged up my brothers coupe speaker and i have sound.

anyone got some good rear speakers for sale. part number on ones that won't work is 895 035 401. brothers had different code 415 on end i think. they all look same to me though

Comment

Guys I really need some help with this. I have so far wasted 70 quid buying a pair of door cards just for the speakers when turned up after Market speakers. Then german eBay ordered a pair got them. Plugged them in and still no sound not even from tweeters.

What the he'll is going on? I'm inclined to just fit some alpine ones I have and re wire.

Am I missing something obvious do they need a power feed?

Strange thing is when used one of my bros it worked?

Please please someone come up with answer.

Comment

I assume you have a coupe. I replaced my OE speakers which were working fine but absolute rubbish sound quality wise and I think I still have them somewhere. If I can find them you're welcome to them. They are Nokia.

John

Comment

I know they aren't the best quality but these days I listen to radio 2 so don't carank it up
                      I can't believe that two sets of speakers don't work?

What it interesting is that at least with my others the tweeters on parcel shelf worked.
                      With the ones I have bought I don't even get the tweeter.

As the speakers in the rear are amplified do they pick up power from red plug?
                      I can't find much info really.

It is a coupe and if they are no longer required I will take them with open arms.
                      Where a bouts in words are you?

Comment

I meant where in Worcestershire are you?

Comment

Has anyone else had this problem after fitting an afternarket stereo.?

Comment

I didn't have your problem after fitting the headunit. But I had problems when fitting an amp and rear speakers lol.

I noticed on the Nokia speakers there was three plugs. One was like a blanking plug. Guessing you have feed running in to the speakers from headunit then the next plug runs to the tweeters. Could be wrong.

Comment

Naw, sorry to raise your hopes, just been out to check and I haven't got them anymore.

The reason is that the speaker wiring from the headunit goes to the speaker first then there's another connector for the plug up to the tweeter unit. I hacked the plug off the side of the Nokia units so I could reuse it on my Sony replacements.

In the OE setup the rear speakers aren't amplified, they're driven direct from the head unit.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X