engine noise in speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine noise in speakers

After installing an amp, I am getting engine whine in the speakers. So far I've tried re-earthing head unit and amp, move the power cable, also bought ground loop isolator that makes it even worse. Even when engine isn't running there is a slight noise coming from speakers.

I am running out of ideas here, anyone had any problems like that?

Thanks
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

What spark plugs? Non-resistor type plugs will often cause radio interference.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
      What spark plugs? Non-resistor type plugs will often cause radio interference.
      Some NGK, don't know exactly. But i also can hear indicators clicking in speakers, it picks up everything as soon as engine is running.

I also swapped over RCA cable, that didn't fix it either.
      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Originally posted by hunker7 View Post
        Some NGK, don't know exactly. But i also can hear indicators clicking in speakers, it picks up everything as soon as engine is running.
        I also swapped over RCA cable, that didn't fix it either.
        In that case, I think the issue is with the headunit aerial. Needs a RF suppressor of some type.
        RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
          In that case, I think the issue is with the headunit aerial. Needs a RF suppressor of some type.
          What do you mean by aerial, the bit that plugs in? RF suppressor?

EDIT: I used ground loop isolator and it made speakers sound weird.
          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

The power cable may not run alongside the RCA cables. They may cross but preferably be routed on different sides in the car. There may be your problem, good luck.

Comment

Agree. Speaker/rca cables on one side of the car, power way over the other side. If you haven't done this, do it.

Cheers

Steve
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic
              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
                The power cable may not run alongside the RCA cables. They may cross but preferably be routed on different sides in the car. There may be your problem, good luck.
                Power cable runs on right hand side and rca on the other side. I tried separating power cable from speaker cable by running it in the middle, still didn't work.

Could amp it's self be faulty?
                '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

With all those things that you make, I'm thinking on the ampl. Try with other one.
                  photobucket SUCKS
                  sigpic

Comment

Even if you have to do it temporarily to see if it helps, earth the amplifier and the head unit to the same point on the car and then there can be no ground loops.

If you've bolted the amplifier to the car, that could also cause a ground loop.

John

Comment

Originally posted by johne View Post
                      Even if you have to do it temporarily to see if it helps, earth the amplifier and the head unit to the same point on the car and then there can be no ground loops.

If you've bolted the amplifier to the car, that could also cause a ground loop.

John
                      I have a wood bolted to the car and then amplifier to that.

Originally posted by M_GORDON View Post
                      With all those things that you make, I'm thinking on the ampl. Try with other one.
                      Gotto buy a new one in that case
                      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Here's some information regarding this (in Latvian): http://mobileaudio.lv/index.php?navig=12&sid=313

Comment

I am running speaker cables under the sills plastic, not under the floor. I just connected the ground loop isolator, and engine whine disappears, but there is no bass and speakers are very quite and sound like music is playing "far far away". I earthed the amp on passenger side behind the upholstery.

I also used my phone as head unit, and all the noise is gone, which would suggest it isn't the amp or speaker cables. I feel like using my phone as headunit and done deal

P.S. Thanks mdz for the link
                          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

This would indicate you need to change the routing of your RCA cables from amp to head unit. Are they high quality ones, cheap ones may not help. If you can run another set through the car over the seats first to see if this cures it...

Cheers

Steve
                            The Perfectionist
                            sigpic
                            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I ran a separate RCA straight from head unit to amp, still the same problem. I am thinking of re-wiring the stereo, as someone have had a go at connecting wires before and maybe something has gone wrong.
                              '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Working...
                              X