Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decent sounds for an avant?

Hi, was wondering if i could get some advice from some of the ice gurus
    I need some decent sounds in my s2 avant. All ive got at the moment is my Alpine cda 7873r and a pair of kicker I400 impulse in the dash, running of the headunit. Ive got an eminence 15" boxed sub running off a 500 watt megavox 2x channel amp, (bridged). Its probably not even set up properly to be honest (or even compatible with each other).
    Would i be better fitting th mb quart DKC 108 as suggested in another thread? also what would you suggest for the rear doors? Id prefer to go down to a 12" sub to get a much tighter punch to the bass, any suggestions for something i can run with this amp?
    Could i keep this amp to run the sub, but have another 4x channel to run the two fronts and the rear doors? if so again any suggestions? And what else would i need? (apart form cabling.) I know there are a lot of questions but id like to only have to do this once to be honest. Thanks in advance
    Gav
    S2 Cabriolet.........

ok, looks like im going to go for two rockford fosgate 10" subs, matching amp to run them, any recommendations for dash and rear door speakers? also an amp to run them.
    Cheers
    Gav
    Last edited by gavs20v; 20 February 2005, 10:50.
    S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Gav, what are you trying to achieve m8? Rather than 2 subs, just get one good one. Have a look at the RE SE10 or 12, I'm guessing that's your budget range.
      acidtrax

Comment

Sorry dude, i hadn't been paying attention to the I.C.E threads

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...752612082&rd=1

These are what you want for front speakers

I'm the one running DKC108 up front but i have a network head unit and therefore they run as fnacy tweeters with no mid range going through them.

The RKC 110 are the ones to install in your going to run mid range in the dash.

Comment

Right, sub, what type of music do you listen too?

It all comes down to that. 15" go very low but they dont react quick enough.

!2" is the best all rounder for all types of music, but i'm going to go down to a 10" twin Kicker S10L7 format within the next few weeks as i want more in the mid range of 50-80 Hz.

Dance music has changed a bit, and i can here the gaps in my setup when listening to Bassline and Funky House.

Comment

Rear Doors, talk to my partners in vibe, Fat Audio 80 and S2 Ant as i dont know what can fit as i have customer rear builds

Comment

cheers for the info guys, i listen to all types of music but want the overall sound to be tight and punchy rather than boomy. Im going for those speaker in the link jamo cheers. The rears have 16cm holes in the doors (the speakers are missing so not sure if this is standard size or not).
              Im not looking for a massive sound off system by any stretch of the imagination, just a quality sound that where i can play a range of music and still have a quality clear sound. Tall order i guess.
              Cheers again
              Gav
              S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo

It all comes down to that. 15" go very low but they dont react quick enough.
                That isn't strictly true. It's dependent on application. I design and build loudspeaker enclosures. You can make a driver act in many different ways, within the restrictions of the t/s parameters anyway.

You make sounds like you're missing out on midbass. The sub isn't supposed to play that range. If you do, you drag the soundstage rearward, just as your rear doorspeakers will. Dedicated midbass drivers up front will give you what you want, and are the way ahead after just 6.5" components. 4" coaxials will never give you what you want.

If you want more specific ice help, try our forums at http://www.talkaudio.co.uk

acidtrax

Comment

I have got dedicated 6.5 mid bass drivers. I have Alistairs old S2 with custom front door builds that has 1" tweeter 4" and 6.5" driver holes.

My friend owns and runs a shop called the Bass Bin and my friend who installed my system used to have his own I.C.E business.

What i've found is that my sub and box which was perfect for my old car is boomy in the S2.

For me to get the sound i want, i'm dropping to a 10" sub as it meets my needs.

Comment

You would only need to change the enclosure.
                    acidtrax

Comment

tried it, tried a new sealed and new ported.

Suppose i'm using it as an excuse for some new ICE stuff

Comment

That's never a bad thing I suppose.

Unfortunately most dealers are happy to stick your sub in a box off the shelf, vented or enclosed. The only way to get a sub to perform at its best is to design a box specific to the driver, and that's a subject beyond the realms of this thread.
                        acidtrax

Comment

Your are absolutely right Bibby, unfortunately my friend no longer has the time to do custom builds so i've lost out.

Comment

Working...
                          X