Modern BOSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern BOSE

So I've been looking into upgrading sound system in my S4 (when time comes) and been looking at modern (A8 D4, B7/8 A4...) BOSE systems. They are not expensive (relatively).

Budget speaker+amp set costs £130 and about the same for sub+amp kit. A modern BOSE system (speakers, amp, sub) goes from £220(A4)-£450(A8), so theoretically I can get a premium product for budget price?

I also understand it won't sound as good as it does in the A8 for instance, but sure it will be better sounding than budget speakers?

What do people thing of something like that? It would require some modifications to door panels etc. but it would be worth it...I think.
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Forget the BOSE stuff. Designed and tuned for a specific model/chassis. Go name-brand head unit with iPod interface and component speakers.

Here is some info:

http://www.jimmypribble.com/blog/201...ectomy-part-1/

http://www.jimmypribble.com/blog/201...ectomy-part-2/

http://www.jimmypribble.com/blog/201...ectomy-part-3/

http://www.jimmypribble.com/blog/201...ectomy-part-4/

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
      Forget the BOSE stuff. Designed and tuned for a specific model/chassis. Go name-brand head unit with iPod interface and component speakers.

Here is some info:

http://www.jimmypribble.com/blog/201...ectomy-part-1/

http://www.jimmypribble.com/blog/201...ectomy-part-2/

http://www.jimmypribble.com/blog/201...ectomy-part-3/

http://www.jimmypribble.com/blog/201...ectomy-part-4/

That's a good point. I know I don't want "budget" stuff anymore.
      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

I've got Bose in my 60 plate A6, and it's the best sound system I've ever heard

Comment

I was in a top merc only a few years ago with B @ O system and i was blown away with the real life like Audiofile sound it reproduced.
          96 URS6 plus speck saloon
          96 URS6 plus speck estate
          94 2.6 80 Avant
          99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Originally posted by Tonybolony View Post
            I've got Bose in my 60 plate A6, and it's the best sound system I've ever heard
            Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
            I was in a top merc only a few years ago with B @ O system and i was blown away with the real life like Audiofile sound it reproduced.
            This is why I am drawn to BOSE, they are one of the best in business.

Read through the links Dave provided, and C4 Bose system was made so you can't modify it, so you can't change the head unit for instance? I would assume it's not the case for newer Audi's?

Yes, they are designed for specific car, but surely it will be better than budget-ish aftermarket setup?
            '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Janis,Dave is right forget the C4 bose stuff it is rubbish compared to component stuff available out there.I have heard bose in a C4,it's ok but no way near as good as the merc.That merc was in a different league in fact universe all together. Later bose is probably better but BOSE marketing department has done a excellent job making you believe a paper cone is the best thing slice bread.IT ISN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

I know that is rubbish, I am thinking about new Bose stuff that we get in D4A8 for instance.
                Last edited by hunker7; 17 May 2015, 12:40.
                '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Something like this:
                  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15198-Audi...item4182b135db
                  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A8-4H...item43db14545d
                  '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

id say unless its a direct fit then its worth going with different stuff. the extra money is in the easy factory install for that particular car IMO

im no stereo expert and really not overly bothered so long as it sounds ok to me. my basic opinion is audi 80 sound is not too clever. its not an easy car to just fit stuff in either. 100's im not sure about. once boost comes in the soundtrack is coming from somwhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                      id say unless its a direct fit then its worth going with different stuff. the extra money is in the easy factory install for that particular car IMO

im no stereo expert and really not overly bothered so long as it sounds ok to me. my basic opinion is audi 80 sound is not too clever. its not an easy car to just fit stuff in either. 100's im not sure about. once boost comes in the soundtrack is coming from somwhere else.
                      The stuff I have in my A100 atm is horrible. I guess another big expense would be wiring for the setup.
                      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

yeh. in ref to the 80 the dash speakers are a pita. the audiobahn setup i got for the coupe a few yrs back with x-overs wouldn't fit as the speaker magner was too big and the frame around the speaker a few mm too bit. i have used these in the rear of the saloon. the fronts are sony and fit ok but it moves the sound stage rear. i believe it should be in front of you really.

i got very little bass. i also think it will be hard to sort this in the saloon with the big fuel tank and solid rear wall and everthing being tin.

to summarise i think we dont have cars that have sound thats any good. the 80 and most of the 100s we have on here are more or less end of the production run for the models we have, late cars so in reality the sound setup is 10 years older again than the cars. so getting on 30 yrs old.

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                          yeh. in ref to the 80 the dash speakers are a pita. the audiobahn setup i got for the coupe a few yrs back with x-overs wouldn't fit as the speaker magner was too big and the frame around the speaker a few mm too bit. i have used these in the rear of the saloon. the fronts are sony and fit ok but it moves the sound stage rear. i believe it should be in front of you really.

i got very little bass. i also think it will be hard to sort this in the saloon with the big fuel tank and solid rear wall and everthing being tin.

to summarise i think we dont have cars that have sound thats any good. the 80 and most of the 100s we have on here are more or less end of the production run for the models we have, late cars so in reality the sound setup is 10 years older again than the cars. so getting on 30 yrs old.
                          Dash speakers on A80 are horrible to change. A100 is much easier. Just looking into options on how to get premuim system for not so premium money.
                          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

im sure you can manage. im interested in whats used to be honest.

i run a cheap dvd/multimedia screened headunit small cheap amp, sony and audibahn and its 1000x better than the old factory crap

Comment

Smart trick for you Janis.Buy the best and you will always have a Que of people wanting to buy it of you when your finished. Buy cheap or midrange and no one wants your crap when your finished. Go get a Genesis power amp/amps.You wont regret that and see Yaz about the Focal range of speakers.They actually do Audiophile home speakers costing many thousands of pounds so there range of car speakers is very good.Buy a top of range legendary 20 year old Alpine head units as they are superb and built like tanks to last. There was a group buy for the 80 front dash speakers and they are easy enough to fit and sound excellent.

When your finished you will get all of your money back if not a very tidy profit. I bought a top range Alpine head unit back in 87 about £500 from memory and by 1993 i was offered £1,000 pounds for it by the sound of boys.Not my bag at all but there's an example of how the best becomes extremely desirable.
                              Last edited by Vorsprung durch Technik; 17 May 2015, 15:36.
                              94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X