This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Rack with flush floor mounted in Coupe Boot

The following describes the installation of a flush floor amp rack for the boot of a Couple:

The amp installation consists of two basic elements.

1.) The base plate to fit the floor of the boot that the amp mounts on to.

2.) The removeable cover with a cut out for your chosen amp.

The best way to being this project is to completely strip the boot of the car, remove the spare wheel, carpet etc so that you can see exactly where the base plate must fit. At this stage you will need to think about whether you intend to keep the spare wheel or construct a spare wheel sub box (see other guide here : http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8083 )

I decided that I did not want to drill any additional holes in my S2 and found that is was possible to use the three mounting points previously used to secure the carpet. These can be found equally spaced just behind the rear seats. (It is best to have the rear seats down during most of the planning an build stages. Don't forget to check the rear seats will go back up before you complete cutting the base plate! )

Here is the Amp rack base plate:
    Attached Files
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

From the Boot end:
    Attached Files
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Close up:
      Attached Files
      The Perfectionist
      sigpic

Comment

The base plate has 1.5" x 1.5" wood batons screwed at strategic points to allow the cover to fit on top and support any luggage you may want to have in the boot once finished.

The Amp should be wired in according to standard practice which I won't go into in any detail, but you should make sure that all your connections are made using insulated crimps, the earth cable should be properly earthed as close the amp as possbile and the power cable must be of a correct gauge and be corretly fuse as close the battery as possible. (Perfect in the Superior ABY where the battery is under the rear seat! )

Once you are happy with the base plate more templates should be made for the top cover, which on mine is a tight fit over the amp and around the edges of the boot so that I did not have to have any unsightly fittings securing it down.
        Attached Files
        The Perfectionist
        sigpic

Comment

Hinge Flap:
          Attached Files
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic

Comment

Hinge details. Once the carpet is glued down these hinges are hidden underneath...
            Attached Files
            The Perfectionist
            sigpic

Comment

Carpet ready to install
              Attached Files
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic

Comment

False floor top cover ready to install in car:
                Attached Files
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic

Comment

Finished flush floor close up:
                  Attached Files
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic

Comment

Finished boot:
                    Attached Files
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic

Comment

Any questions let me know!

Cheers,

Steve.
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic

Comment

Another Top Write Up!!! Particularly impressed with the hinges which i never noticed when i saw it in the flesh!!!

Thanks mate, Andy Casey has done another varient of this as well, would be interesting to compare.
                        Last edited by Fat Audi 80; 27 March 2008, 08:57. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Can the subwoofer beat out far enough (I don't exactly know the right term in english, but hope it's clear)? I'd expect it to hit the board when you turn it up? But nice work .

Comment

Originally posted by Joris View Post
                            Can the subwoofer beat out far enough (I don't exactly know the right term in english, but hope it's clear)? I'd expect it to hit the board when you turn it up? But nice work .
                            The gap is quite big and my subwoofer does not "travel" that far!!

Cheers,

Steve.
                            The Perfectionist
                            sigpic

Comment

excursion is the term for the sub woofers travel. and it looks good. nice and clean.

Comment

Working...
                              X