S2 coupe roof aerial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 coupe roof aerial

My car needs a replacement roof aerial. The original is a 45 degree type.
    These are now NLA. What have people used as a replacement? Does anyone have a picture of the aerial connector in the roof? How it is amplified etc? Heard a rumour that the mk4 golf item can be fitted, but I think it's a 60 or 76 degree aerial base
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

I bought the one below because the original one was leaking water inside the car, the plastic gasket between the base and the body had deformed.
    The new one fitted in place no problem but the connection on the co-axial cable was different and it has no built in amp. The radio reception is no better than before.

So........in short, I'm just glad water isn't getting in!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2915591343...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Comment

A Vauxhall Corsa B aerial base is a direct fit, the amplifier feed is slightly different but this is easily adaptable. The angle isn't quite right though, probably around 70 degrees which might bug you. Some people have used an inline amplifier which would probably be the best solution if you want to keep the correct angle.

Worth checking that the current aerial is getting power as it might have inadvertently been cut. Just remove the roof light underneath the aerial and the wires are right there.

Here's a Corsa one that I bought previously:
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1524528232...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Comment

If its the same as the avant the Hirschmann DAB/FM ariel is a direct fit, Has amplifier and connectors are all the same for the FM with additional bonus if you change to a DAB head unit

Paul
        1995 RS2 Nogaro
        1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
        1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

I am interested in this too, which will be done when my headlining is replaced. I thought I had seen a correct aftermarket one, but don't remember where. I would be interested in what others find.

Cheers,

Steve
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

think this about as close to oem... https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/beru/994026
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by PaulJ View Post
              If its the same as the avant the Hirschmann DAB/FM ariel is a direct fit, Has amplifier and connectors are all the same for the FM with additional bonus if you change to a DAB head unit

Paul
              so this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hirschmann-.../dp/B00KX4KRRY

Comment

That Hirschmann one looks way too steep, the Beru one linked appears much better, at least over the internet.

Comment

I bought one from eBay a few years back and it looks OE.
                  91 Modded 3B
                  14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                    think this about as close to oem... https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/beru/994026
                    A good find thanks for the link. Unfortunately got one of these today and it is being sent back. The quality is terrible, it feels light hollow and cheap, there is no seal so I can see a lot of water getting in, the wiring is completely different. With some modification it would probably work. An inline amplifier would probably be a much better bet, has anyone got any details of an inline amp that works?

A few photos:

Comment

where can i get just the Ariel screw in part?
                      ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
                      THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Colesy View Post
                        A good find thanks for the link. Unfortunately got one of these today and it is being sent back. The quality is terrible, it feels light hollow and cheap, there is no seal so I can see a lot of water getting in, the wiring is completely different. With some modification it would probably work. An inline amplifier would probably be a much better bet, has anyone got any details of an inline amp that works?

A few photos:

That's the same one I got, it also went back, quality was terrible!!

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76640

The cheap Ebay one is miles better
                        sigpic
                        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by vonbeck View Post
                          where can i get just the Ariel screw in part?
                          just the whip antenna? I think you can get them from ecp or gsf...
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Ive just put a hirschman one on the RS2, yes its a bit steeper but you would not notice unless parked next to another, superb quality and works well, can change with the headlining in place
                            Paul
                            1995 RS2 Nogaro
                            1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
                            1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

Originally posted by PaulJ View Post
                              Ive just put a hirschman one on the RS2, yes its a bit steeper but you would not notice unless parked next to another, superb quality and works well, can change with the headlining in place
                              Paul
                              good to hear. have you been able to test it in a proper Scottish rain? That's when mine started to leak, the drizzle we have here is no problem for the seal

Comment

Working...
                              X