Problems with Rear Koni shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Rear Koni shocks

Just wondering if anyone has the symptoms I'm getting using the Koni suspension upgrade for the RS2 where the rear shocks when going over speed bumps or road irregularities produce a slamming down sound from the rear. Dealer has adjusted them from fully hard to fully soft and we can't get rid of the sound. Currently the rears are set at 1/4 from hardest and still it happens. I also tend to get bump steer from the rear if the bumps are really bad on a corner.
    I've got the same Koni suspension as others on here with new upper and lower wishbones complete with new bushes e.t.c at front and rear, rear Powerflex anti roll bushes. Car (RS2) has been fully four wheel aligned and corners well if the road is smooth.
    If I can't get it sorted them I'm going to change the rear shocks back to standard ones or try the KW suspension alternative.
    Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

IIRC KW = Koni Weitec
    Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
    England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

Thats correct Bry,

Did you put new bump stops on the koni shocks? Are you running standard strings or lowering springs?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
        Thats correct Bry,

Did you put new bump stops on the koni shocks? Are you running standard strings or lowering springs?

I'm running standard springs not lowered ones -the problem appears to be related to the rebound of the shocks. No matter what setting the garage sets them at I get the slamming sound when the car goes over a speed bump or large pothole. The slamming sound happens on speed bumps after you've gone over the speed bump i.e. it's when the suspension is already compressed and is rebounding. I'd assume that the garage would have put new bump stops on the Koni shocks but will check. Would lack of bumps stops or older bump stops cause the bump steer effect I'm getting from the rear?

Comment

On this diagram of the RS2 rear suspension where is the bump stop located?

Comment

This problem is now solved - my Audi dealer has fitted brand new OEM shocks at the rear whilst still leaving the Konis on at the front. OEM shocks have noticeably more travel than the rear Konis did.
            I also had Powerflex front ARB bushes fitted at the same time.

Comment

Working...
            X