Front ARB bobble!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front ARB bobble!

I have bobbling sound which sounds to the the front ARB. Its driving me mad!! Anyhow i found the N/S drop link to be fooked so i replaced it. It quietend a lot but returned a month or so later, so i replaced the o/s. Still the same? The two "u" type clamp bushes seem ok the droplinks are new, (well GSF new?) and bottom ball joints also seem good? (N/S also new?) Iam gonna check everything from scratch again but anyone else shed any light on this?
    Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

have you tried changing the bushes?
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

which bushes? the "u" clamp bushes? no they look good but will remove and inspect them today and pack with rubber if there worn! I cant stand this dam noise another day!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Greg!
      Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

is it a clonking noise or a squeaking your getting?

the other thing worth checking is your top mounts on the suspension.

may find they are worn, or the nut in the middle of top mount a little loose.

Greg
        Greg

Comment

Let me know when you find out what it is! I've got it too! as has Pauls Avant!! Pauls Avant had a new RS2 front ARB with new bushes and brackets, so not that on his car :-(

It's damn annoying!! over the worn wheel bearing noise!

Martyn
          Martyn
          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Mine does it too on rutted roads. Am going to change top mounts and ball joints when I change the shocks next month. Hopefully that will cure it as I have already done the RS2 ARBs and Poly bushes.

Lee
            1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
            Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

maybe won't Lee, my top mounts are new blues, ball joints are fine, tracking, camber etc, just been set perfectly unyet it still makes the noise, I think they all must do , its 'normal' !! maybe shocks will help??
              Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Hmmm. Very strange. All I can think of to try to find mine is to start renewing stuff as it is all 135k miles old. Isn't your subframe bushes is it Martyn? What about steering arm ball joints or the ARB links? Those are really tight on mine but something sounds loose or worn. Not too worried as I have probed all of the important bits and everything is captive...I hope!!
                1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Its one of those things Lee... maybe one day I'll stumble across the noise.. next year is new shocks, subframe bushes, bearings, drop links etc... so we'll see...

Martyn
                  Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

mine does this too , i need to change the arb, but it seems the is at all 4 corners. annoying squeky sound.
                    Coupe

Comment

Have you just had powerflex bushes fitted?
                      Greg

Comment

S2 runs basically same suspension as my old Gt Coupe ('82Y 1.9 5pot WN) The only noise I had on that was when my front spring broke and there was a small part of coil spring rattling around in spring cup.
                        New springs and shocks cured that one!
                        A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Greg

Nah, the bushes had been replaced before i purchased the car. Thats what so strange about it never did it before the sus upgrade.. and its only on dodgy roads tho, and theres alot around here!
                          Coupe

Comment

If you got a bit of spare time, get the car up on axle standands andtake the wishbones out Grease them up with lots of copper slip and put back in again and see if that solves it.
                            Greg

Comment

Not sure if this is the same, but…

After I got new front shocks fitted in the summer my car would make a clunking noise on rough roads. It turned out that when the eejit that did the work for me put it back together he managed to strip the thread on one of the drop links, so the nut would slip a few mill hence a clunk. I replaced the drop link and it runs like a dream.

When replacing it, it all felt like it was done up properly, so it might be worth while removing and reassembling things.
                              ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Working...
                              X