Steering rack pre load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack pre load

I had a new Audi rack fitted last year. It has remained very tight and recently caused a MOT re-test. I now know that the rack pre load is adjustable by turning the centre 12mm bolt in the centre of the plate visible below/right of the clutch master cylinder. Can anyone advise the specifications on correct adjustment for this please? Thanks, James.

Dont know what the values are but i know if you wind it up too far it will bind and not all the wheel to self centre....so i'd guess hlaf a turn or so back form that would be your max. playing with it does increase the feel and weight slightly though.

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Thanks David. Stupid question :- I assume tightening the bolt ( ie clockwise) tightens up the steering ? At the moment I have no self centreing at all, but am concerned that tinkering here could lead to steering problems. I have tried backing the bolt off about 1/16 turn at a time ( ie anti clockwise ) with the steering damper disconnected and it seems to be getting better (v slowly). James

Comment

I'd reconnect the damper and slowly turn the 12mm back anti cloc, then go for a quick run, repeating until it frees up. I was like you and VERY cautious in tightening it but it will free up and will be fine with the damper connected to the rack.

Cheers and good luck!

David
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Got the procedure ready and waiting for you James, quite a few pages though!!

David, did you replace your steering damper when you did your work? isn't one end of it a little bit tricky to do? the nut and bolt end? or simple enough...
          Martyn
          Martyn
          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Martyn,

Nope, just the gaiter, left the damper alone but to get the damper detached from the rack carrier plate is not easy as you cannot see what you are doing, just feel. you need to undo the nyloc, pull the bolt back towards the firewall and then twist the end of the damper upwards then you can recover the bolt.

Cheers,

David
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Martyn, just PMd you. If you turn steering to left full lock, one end is easy to undo ( 1 x 15 mm bolt ) but the other..............? Cheers James.

Comment

Working...
              X