Front suspension general stuff....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front suspension general stuff....

Due to a little 'mishap' with my front suspension, my S is currently sitting on axle stands dead for a little while :wacked:

The left hand front wishbone ball joint is completely fooked and needs to be replaced (which was the source of my knocking noise over bumps). So whilst i'm fitting a set of cast wishbones, RS2 front ARB and new drop links anyone suggest any BTDT's for putting all these bits on? like...

The RS2 front ARB, do you do up the two front clamps ONLY with the car on the ground? same with the two droplinks, do them up on the ground? or in the air? ball joint pinch bolt? in the air or ground?

Any other do this or thats greatly welcomed

I was sitting there with wishbone removed, drop link in hand and thinking, hmm... this would be a great time to fit new front shocks at the front, that means I'll have to do the rears as well. Might as well put new springs on too whilst I'm at it, maybe H&R's, ar, and whilst the lot is off, I could do the brakes, but that means bigger wheels... one coffee and two fags later, Mr access card committed suicide at my thoughts and they now remain just that! thoughts.... in for a penny, credit card out for a grand!!! But not this time! I resisted the urge! must be getting old...

Martyn
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Re: Front suspension general stuff....

I was sitting there with wishbone removed, drop link in hand and thinking, hmm... this would be a great time to fit new front shocks at the front, that means I'll have to do the rears as well. Might as well put new springs on too whilst I'm at it, maybe H&R's, ar, and whilst the lot is off, I could do the brakes, but that means bigger wheels... one coffee and two fags later, Mr access card committed suicide at my thoughts and they now remain just that! thoughts.... in for a penny, credit card out for a grand!!! But not this time! I resisted the urge! must be getting old...

Martyn
    Go on, go onnnnn....you know you want to!!!!

Comment

Thank you! I don't need any encouragement thanks! NOPE, I SHALL be strong. I can resist, I can resist.....
      Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Martyn, while its off why not.

You could always tackle the front this week and the back next.

when fitting the RS2 ARB fit the drop links to it but dont fit the clamps on subframe until the car is on the ground.

Also worth puttin a bit of copper slip on ARB where it fits around bushes.

Greg
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

What are you doing mucking about with the dirty stuff - have you finished fitting the RS2 interior?
          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Tighten the ARB to sub frame bolts wheels ON the ground. Ball joint pinch when ever the easiest = off the ground and wheel off.
            Note that you must get wheel angles realigned as the camber is set moving the ball joint.

Avants don't have cast wishbones as standard?! Why change the wishbones?

Enjoy the coffee, I know the feeling.
            -

Comment

Everything can be fitted in the air, the only bolts that need doing up tightly when on the ground are wishbone to subframe bolts. Everything else can be tightened when jacked up.

Well, if I was you, shocks and springs would be a must and just save up for new brakes and wheels. Get it handling spot on. Also when you have replaced all these bits, like the wishbones etc, you will need 4 wheel alignment done. It will have to be done again after fitting the shocks and springs. you maybe saving money for the moment, but at 50 quid a throw its another 50 quid saved that could go towards the suspension bits!!!!

Not that i would try to make you spend your money. Just tell the wife some ******** and she will never know! If she thinks the car is lower afterwards just say it was all the extra grub over christmas and that she must have put on weight, that should keep her quiet!! LOL
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Yeah martyn, have you fitted those seats or wot!

Comment

Martyn,
                  If using used wish bones, be sure to replace the bushings regardless of what they look like. It is much easier to do it now while you have them off any way.
                  You can do it at home. The biggest PITA is getting the old ones out. Let me know if you need some tips on that.
                  So...sounds like my shopping list just got a bit longer. I have to get that RS2 bar!
                  What is the recommended rear ARB? I bought all four wish bones from a later Coupe than mine. It included cast front wish bones, stamped rear ones and a rear ARB about as big around as a damn pencil!
                  Seems hardly worth installing.
                  Also, are there cast arms available for the rear? I swear my 20v 7A sedan had cast rear arms.
                  As far as tightening sequence, the wish bone attach points MUST be tightened with WOW (weight on wheels). The ARB to subframe bolts must only be tightened with WOW if using rubber bushings. Rubber sticks to the ARB and will load up if tightened in the air. IF using poly or Delrin bushings, it doesn't matter as the ARB can rotate within the bushing.
                  Anyway best of luck in resisting the urge!
                  Dave K.
                  USA
                  1991 e//S2 (home built S2 - the only way to get one in USA!)
                  2001 S4

Comment

Originally posted by desmo888
                    What is the recommended rear ARB?
                    Whiteline BAR14Z rear ARB is a bolt on for S2's. Gives equiv. 20mm instead of original 17 mm. Around 300 Aussie bucks plus shipping. Check out the rear ARB thread on this forum.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/

Quite a few of us have it. All love it.

Comment

Thank you VERY much guys!! oh how tempting to do the shocks, but I just cannot afford to... we go to Australia for a month! on the 12th Feb, and every penny has gone into that huge holiday bill!!

Damn the tacking neededing doing again i just spent a good few hundred quid getting that sorted in November

The forged arms I got as a good buy off e-bay already fitted with new bushes and new Audi ball joints, so cannot complain about that! I might... get powerflex's new all polyura what ever its called!! bushes, the ones without ANY metal at all!!! we'll see.

Thank you VERY much for the great advice guys
                      Martyn
                      Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Yeah Martyn - the RS2 ARBs are worth doing... but like all critical points on the suspension shouldn't really be tightened up with the wheels in the air... as everything gets stressed and twisted when the weight of the car is restored to the suspension.

You can get away with tightening up the ball-jointed droplink fitting as that joint will just rotate.

Also top mounts in 'blue' if not already done...

Paul
                        Paul Nugent
                        Webmaster http://S2central.net
                        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by 91_S2
                          Whiteline BAR14Z rear ARB is a bolt on for S2's. Gives equiv. 20mm instead of original 17 mm. Around 300 Aussie bucks plus shipping. Check out the rear ARB thread on this forum.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/

Quite a few of us have it. All love it.
                          Thanks! I'll have to check it out (and see how poorly the American dollar is doing...)
                          Dave K.
                          USA
                          1991 e//S2 (home built S2 - the only way to get one in USA!)
                          2001 S4

Comment

Cheers Paul!

Sounds like Mr Breeze blocks are coming out to play so I can lower the car onto its wheels and still get under neath to get the wishbones nuts done up through the subframe. How the hell you do this with the wheels actually on the ground I do not know!! Blue tops are fitted and I opted for the metal RS2 droplinks this time.

Thank god for nut splitters (drop link nut welded on!) and copper grease I say!
                            Martyn
                            Last edited by Martynf; 19 January 2004, 23:36.
                            Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Are there hard plastic bushes for the RS2 front ARB? PN anyone?

Comment

Working...
                              X