RS2 Wishbone Bushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 Wishbone Bushes

I've been reading the pressed .vs. cast wishbones stuff and was wondering if this applies to the RS2 as well? I've bought PowerFlex front bushes and now I'm worried they might not fit...

As PowerFlex only do front wishbone bushes for the RS2 - can anyone recommend a suitable substitute for the rear ones?
    Cheers,
    Chasman
    1994 RS2 in RS Blue Pearlescent

HI Chas,

good talking today on the phone paul as Im entioned, is on here as Audi Parts Guru if you need to contact him about the secret parts we discussed!!

Martyn
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Thanks mate... you've done it now though, you'll be inundated with pms asking about the secret parts!

Cheers,
      Chasman

Comment

These photos were taken tonight, in the dark, lying under the car with a torch and a digital camera... best I could do I'm guessing the pressed steel wishbones have a cross-section like a ravioli parcel cut in half and the cast wishbones like an "I" beam or girder yes? Seems to me I have the cast aluminium ones so the 45mm bushes PowerFlex specified are OK...

There are times when I wish I had an RS4 so I could just buy stuff straight from a catalogue
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Chasman; 21 January 2004, 09:26.
        Cheers,
        Chasman

Comment

yup they are the forged wishbones. If you check your rears too and tell powerflex when you call they will give you the right ones.

Greg
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Spot on Chas! cast they are indeed!

PM away!
            Martyn

oh, wheres the fun in off the shelf nice n easy?
            Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
              yup they are the forged wishbones. If you check your rears too and tell powerflex when you call they will give you the right ones.

Greg
              Avants have different config to the coupe so our rear arms are very different. I don't think Powerflex do one for the rear B4 avant chasis with either forged or cast 'bones.....yet. I will check the sizing as I need to go under the rear of the car soon and I would like to upgrade the rears on my Avant. The fronts were a big improvement. Purple bushes have been superseeded by black apparently too. The latter has a higher shore (measure of elastomer hardness).
              1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
              Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

You are correct - they don't - yet!

I have a theory we may be about to enter a new era of parts availability for the RS2. I reckon there are three main peaks of interest in aftermarket parts for cars. The first is for people buying new who don't want a "clone" car. The second is for 3-5 year old used cars being bought specifically for modification by the Max Power readership. The third is when the cars start getting a bit long in the tooth and start wearing out. The RS2 is firmly in phase 3...

If I'm right this bodes well for high wear parts like exhausts, suspension, engine/gearbox mounts etc. but not so good for things like brakes and tuning as it is assumed the modifiers lose interest past the 5 year mark. This is born out by my internet research - no shiny new 6 pot calipers from anyone as far as I can tell (please prove me wrong!) and MTM don't list any tuning parts at all any more
                Cheers,
                Chasman

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                  Avants have different config to the coupe so our rear arms are very different. I don't think Powerflex do one for the rear B4 avant chasis with either forged or cast 'bones.....yet. I will check the sizing as I need to go under the rear of the car soon and I would like to upgrade the rears on my Avant. The fronts were a big improvement. Purple bushes have been superseeded by black apparently too. The latter has a higher shore (measure of elastomer hardness).
                  Yeah the black does have improved hardness. Reason the Purples were superceeded was that some customers had to have them replaced after 2 years because they werent hard enough for the car. Good thing is it stiffen things up even more and road noise isnt too bad either.

Greg
                  Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

6 pot brakes. Lee, arn't your AP's a six pack? and maybe... Hi-Spec could do a 6 pack for your RS....

Martyn
                    Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Yep. Mine are 6 pots and they are awesome!

Designun Limited....

Comment

Amen to that brother!! I have felt your force and can testify to their stoping power!! I;m surprised your brakes don't rip your legs off the car! QUALITY!
                        Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Excellent - what are the details Lee? i.e. model numbers, fitting instructions etc. Did you modify front and rear? Do you need to change the master cylinder? etc. etc.
                          Cheers,
                          Chasman

Comment

The rear is similarly thin but with lest of a pronounced 'I' beam shape - is it cast or pressed? Sorry it's a bit blurry - very tricky access.
                            Attached Files
                            Cheers,
                            Chasman

Comment

Originally posted by Chasman
                              Excellent - what are the details Lee? i.e. model numbers, fitting instructions etc. Did you modify front and rear? Do you need to change the master cylinder? etc. etc.
                              Setup is my own completely custom one (I'm an engineer and all stress analysis has been done before manufacture!). It will be extreme when complete but currently running 6 pot AP CP5555 calipers on stock RS4 disks. Floaters (362mmx36mm) going to the subcontractors for manufacture imminently but they have told me that they have no workshop capacity presently. I'll PM you with details!! You need 18" wheels as a minimum for my setup!

Designun Limited....

Comment

Working...
                              X