Clunk noise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunk noise...

When turning the wheel left after going in a straight line there is a quiet clunk kinda noise.... Its not CV... and there doesnt feel like there is any play in the steering...

Any suggestions for things to check? I'm guessing worn bush or some play in something steering or suspension related.....
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

I had a similar problem with my coupe. mine was caused by a loose ball joint on the lower wishbone, they are held in place by three bolts on elongated slots. Mine showed more when i backed off the accelerator. the car didn't lurch to one side, just made a noise.

The silly thing was the ball joint was on the other side of the car to the noise!

Comment

Check the top mountings on the MCpherson suspension.

Cheers
      RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
      RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
      Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
      High Octane website

Comment

it only does it when i turn left, the other thing i have noticed is that it doesnt seem to drive straight properly anymore.....

as im driving along the motorway it feels a bit drifty at the front, like v heavy crosswind, car seems to go from side to side a bit but not all the time, the crosswind thing is the best way of describing it (but its not that) thats started happening recently too....
        Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Yup mine did that, it was the loose ball joint.

D.

Comment

Cheers, was looking at changing all these parts for new ones soon anyway as when i had the tracking done they said it was slightly bent as they couldnt get it to go straight. (it goes slightly to the left)

Will check it out

Ta
            Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Good luck.

D.

Comment

Ant,

if it is the ball joint, do it SOONER rather than later!!! my S is dead again in the garage due to the bottom ball joint. Nasty things can happen if the ball joint completely pops out, don't even want to think about it!!

I've had that noise for about a month, steadily getting worse, it was my left hand one that was completely fooked. Change it sooner rather than later!

Martyn
                Martyn
                -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

How much are the ball joints?

Is it worth doing the wishbones too? also anything else down there whilst im at it?

Would do both sides too, keep it all even....

The car was going to the left a bit when tracked. Also when i had the MOT done the guy said the right wheel had a lil bit of play in it too....

As people keep saying, in for a penny, credit card out for a grand LOL
                  Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

That little bit of play maybe several things, from inner track control arm bushes, wheel bearing, bottom ball joint, track rod end, even wishbone bushes. Jack it up and tug at the wheel, then get a mate or samantha to do the tugging and have a look to see what is moving.

HTH
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Weird this, mines been doing the same, knocking as I go over bumps.
                      I changed my top mounts for the blue ones thinking it was them on Saturday, but its still doing it (knocking coming from the left front). I wont be happy if its the ball joint as I only changed it about seven or so months ago.
                      I was wondering could it be the ARB drop link .

Mark.
                      Mark - Modded

Comment

Hi all

Any way to check these ball joints. Can you see movement or anything. I have a similar knock that I am trying to track down. Mine "look" ok, but that may not be the case.

Thanks
                        Andre
                        1995 RS2 Avant - Custom SS exhaust, Koni adjustables, Custom map, large grin ...

Comment

Ant - you have the big (on the front - small on rear) purple powerflex polybushes on your car - check they are still OK - if not, get in touch with Powerflex and try and blag a free new set - since they are supposed to last a looong time.

Mark - I have had cheapo ARB droplinks on a 90 20V go in 3 months - are they cheapos?
                          Last edited by Doug_RS2; 20 January 2004, 19:26.
                          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by andre
                            Any way to check these ball joints. Can you see movement or anything.
                            Jack it up and get a big screwdriver into try and lever the balljoint - you can usually see it moving - while it is jacked up try jacking up the wishbone as well - to see if it is moving.
                            S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Thanks Doug, will do
                              Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Working...
                              X