Power steering pump leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering pump leaking

The power steering pump on my 95 ABY is leaking around the black plastic bung in the top Not much but is def leaking anyone else had this, and if so can it be resealed/ O-ringed or is it a recon job.

Not all doom and gloom though, just passed its Mot with not so much as a squiggle on the advisory sheet, mot bod was gutted especially as it took two of em to get the ramp jack under front, H&R and Koni combo appears to be lowering itself even more

Only discovered the leak whilst replacing the side light bulb that hasn't worked since i got the last mot, anyone with tiny hands could do a mint changing side light bulbs for S2 owners with normal sized extremities
    Ragusa Coupe gone!
    sigpic
    VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
    VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
    vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Sidelight bulbs

fyi it's a lot easier to change the sidelight bulbs if you remove the headlamp. 5 minutes max...
    Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

You can get a seal kit. I think the part no for ABY is 035 198 049 A. Maybe VAG Parts can confirm. I kept the instructions below but never got round to fixing mine....

It is actually a rather easy fix. Each kit contains a new plug and an O-ring. It means you can beat the hell out of the plug.

Take a big, heavy screwdriver. Angle it on to the "+" pattern on the plug and give it a couple of really good whacks. Counter clockwise mind. Then try using the screwdriver to turn it. If it won't budge, repeat the violence. Both of mine came off after that procedure. Now the pump is as dry as you please. You will have to remove the pump completely to get to the bottom plug.

You might want to get new crush washers for the banjo bolts. 2 bolts have 2 x aluminium crush washers and one has 2 x rubber O-rings.

And have some G002000 on hand to top up the fluid when you are done.

Rich
      Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Cheers peter thought it was going to be greif but if the kit is available i am going to get on it as soon as i move house

Will contact Vag parts shortly to order the bits
        Ragusa Coupe gone!
        sigpic
        VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
        VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
        vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

Working...
        X