Steering gone nuts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering gone nuts...

I've just picked up the SlowCab from the garage where they fitted a new clutch and now it won't drive in a straight line.. looks like the tracking is way out..

Any ideas how this might have happened?

I know they had a lot of trouble getting the procon10 cables off.. could they have bent something?

I've taken it back and hopefully they will be able to sort it out, but they are denying any responsibility..
    1996 A6 TDI Quattro Avant, Xenon HIDs, A4 Autodipping rearview.
    Previous: UrS6 with RS2 bits.. <sigh>

Originally posted by JasonS
    I've just picked up the SlowCab from the garage where they fitted a new clutch and now it won't drive in a straight line.. looks like the tracking is way out..

Any ideas how this might have happened?

I know they had a lot of trouble getting the procon10 cables off.. could they have bent something?

I've taken it back and hopefully they will be able to sort it out, but they are denying any responsibility..

This is only conjecture, but anytime I've took a gearbox out , it usually involved
    playing around with the steering rack to help make it easier to get the box out, usually the two bolt on the passenger side of the rack , I'm sure you're supposed to change these bolts if they've been out ? (I'm sure a real mechanic can confirm ?) , I've seen them tightened up then slack off, trying driving slowly with full lock and see if it starts to jump or slide

HTH

Comment

Thanks for the info..

They got it sorted.. It was the two bolts.. the bloke put them back on the wrong way up, now they are the right way up, it's perfect.
      1996 A6 TDI Quattro Avant, Xenon HIDs, A4 Autodipping rearview.
      Previous: UrS6 with RS2 bits.. <sigh>

Comment

The two bolts in the steering rack?
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS
          Thanks for the info..

They got it sorted.. It was the two bolts.. the bloke put them back on the wrong way up, now they are the right way up, it's perfect.
          give it a week and check that they're still tight, again I'm not positive, but you might find that the geometry's screwed now, even though there's only a few mm movement around the bolts in the rack...

Comment

Working...
          X