Steering rack dropped all the oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack dropped all the oil

Hi guys. So steering rack just dropped all the oil. What are my options, refurbed unit, new unit or are rebuild kits available? Any info is appreciated.
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Maybe someone here does reconditioning?
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Some info here: http://audiclub.co.uk/ftopicp-46189.html

Comment

Think this is the kit for it: https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/878...l-Kit-1371801/

Though do check.

Comment

So thanks to Alex I checked where the leak is coming from, and one of the lines are leaking. Don't have it off as yet as all my tools are at work, but I am incredibly happy it's not the rack itself. So, would the best option be to replace it? or can it be fixed somehow assuming there is a hole it in?
          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Would something like this work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-10-AN10...cAAOxye2lSXp19
            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-3-to-M1...IAAOxy0x1TQYiN
            '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Have the pipe off, one that goes from power steering pump to the steering rack, 19mm banjo bolt fitting. I cannot see any holes in it, is it possible that the washers failed? Seems unlikely.
              '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Got a replacement steering rack but I can't seem to be able to mate it with steering column fully so therefore I can only bolt down one side of the rack? The u joint is fully on the spline bit. Needs atleast additional 5cm to be able to bolt both sides down? Any idea guys?
                '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Are you sure the spigot on the rack is all the way in the bit it goes into? I had the rack out of my couple last year and it was a real fight getting it out and then getting it back in. I damaged the splines a little bit and it wouldn't slide together properly without cleaning them up / straightening them out with a small file. you will know when it has all gone back together properly as the pinch bolt on the end of the column sits in a recess around the circumference of the splined spigot coming out of the rack. I seemed to recall in the end i took the clamp off the end of the rack, put it on the spigot and then put the whole lot back onto the car - it just seemed easier that way and the bolts that held the clamp on were easy enough to get to.

Comment

I put it on while rack was out for that exact reason, it wouldn't slide on while on the car. And I've triple checked it, it's fully on.

I'll try and take steering column off today as I think it doesn't collapse properly (adjustable rack).
                    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

fair enough. They are flipping awkward and the parts are quite sensitive to being bang on square before they push together. If you have the same part numbers rack, the splines are fully together then, working backwards it can only be the steering column! I don't know what bit slides on your car as its prob different to the coupe but i wonder if it has extended while pulling the rack out but due to corrosion / sticky grease or something it hasn't easily slid back to where it was? I had the luxury of doing mine with the engine out and it was a struggle, don't envy you - good luck!

Comment

Ok. Got it off (pretty straight forward actually). Close up picture, does that seem like it has moved? There is grease/it isn't dry at that part? Everything else seems to come together properly.
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 2 photos.
                        '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

I see what you mean - i can see a bit of grease there and there are marks along the length of the tube to suggest it has slid one way or the other. Is your adjustable mechanism one that has a lever somewhere under the steering column that the driver operates? If so and you operate it with it out of the car, does the bit in your picture move? Steering columns also have collapsible sections to stop the driver getting a face full of steering wheel in a heavy crash, I'm not sure how that bit works, it could even be the concertina section you can see that just collapse so i doubt it is that.

give it a shove and see if it moves 5cm?

Comment

I'll try but looking at this picture, it doesn't change the length of the rack?
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.
                            '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Ah, I see - up and down adjustment prob won't change length. It's very different to my coupe, I'm sort of out of ideas. If the new bit is the same as old bit it should go back, mounting holes / studs lining up properly and not snagging? I feel your frustration.

Comment

Working...
                              X