Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi S2 Bad steering upgrades?

Hello,

As all knows in standard the nose of Audi s2 are bad.

I made research and wound that best thing to to is put KW coils but those cost a fortune.
    Other best option is to put upgraded ARP-s?
    Question is:
    What ARP to put over standard?
    Is there other upgrades to make car better steering?
    Just now i also will install AK Motorsport red front sub-frame bushes.

I want that in snow the car tail will be more powerful. Just now the front wants to go straight only.

Thank you for help.

You want a smaller front roll bar and larger rear.

4wd system is 50:50 split, so front wheels spin quite a lot in snow. You can modify centre diff or fit rear limited slip.

Driving technique makes a difference too.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I know it makes. After two years i understand how to drive but still. Front want to go straight to much, specially in ice track. In snow can handles much better.
      I have heard that they but in front also larger ARP?

Comment

You can remove the roll bar in the front, or move it to the rear. The weight distribution is the worst problem. The car is to nose heavy. If you use the handbreak to start your slide and then give gas the car will oversteer easy.

Comment

The age old S2 question
          I have spent best part of a decade trying to improve this
          There is a lot you can do, but it depends how far you are willing to go.

Without any cutting & welding or any custom work/parts:

1. Increase the F/R roll stiffness ratio (make the rear axle stiffer than the front axle), you can do this by increasing the rear roll bar size or spring rate, or both.
          2. Replace the factory rubber bushes & mountings. If it's a road car, try poly bushes throughout. If its pure track, you can use solid subframe mountings, solid topmounts and spherical bearings in the joints etc.
          3. Alter geometry. Get as much -ve camber at each corner, and as much +ve castor angle as you can.
          4. Stiffen the chassis as much as possible - front and rear strut brace, lower chassis/tunnel brace etc.
          5. Slide engine and gearbox back as far as you can. (Re)move as much weight from the front axle as possible.
          6. Increase spring rates all round (keep in mind altering the F/R ratio as above). You will need to alter damping to suit.
          7. Fit rear LSD.
          8. Fit B7 RS4 gearbox with 40:60 T3 centre diff and 4:1 torque bias ratio.

Do all of the above. If you have tuned your roll stiffness right you will have a pretty good car that will be sharp & responsive and pretty neutrally balanced on and off the throttle = fun.
          There are lots of small improvements you can make also, you will need to get creative. as I am running out of time here...

Beyond this you really need to start physically altering the car or the steering components - custom work

HTH

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I replaced the RARB on my coupé with a thicker (Whiteline) one, and that made a big impact, much happier on roundabouts etc. and (certainly for an S2) inexpensive and not much work

Comment

Thank you to all for helping me.

I always tought that i need stiffer front on car not back. So i bought stiffer front subframe bushes
              So cheapest and best option is then: Stiffer subframe bushes to back and whitline rear ARB?
              Whitline cost somthing 200-300€? I have read somwhere that cheaper is to put original biger ARB to back. But what they but?
              I have sedan body not coupe.

Comment

Originally posted by ristokru View Post

I want that in snow the car tail will be more powerful. Just now the front wants to go straight only.
                For fun in the snow/ice just use the diff lock. The extra traction in the rear will make the center diff transfer more power to the rear and make it a lot more tail happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Audi_CQ View Post

For fun in the snow/ice just use the diff lock. The extra traction in the rear will make the center diff transfer more power to the rear and make it a lot more tail happy.
                  Have to try. Need to make some switch system to diff lock wire.
                  But is the whitline arb cheapest option?

Comment

My RS2 has stock suspension except for koni shocks and it steers and handles pretty well imo (for a heavyish car) and is compliant too, which helps keep the rubber connected to the road when it’s not a smooth surface. Maybe less is more?

Comment

Botttom line there is no cheap, easy or quick fix to correct a fairly average 30 year old suspension setup.
                      Concentrate on the basics first, as detailed above
                      The further you go, the more it costs...
                      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Iv sent u a pm error ... putting the front ARB onto the rear and swapping the rear suspension around apparently works even better than the white line ones as it's even thicker ... just trying to find out what drop links are to be used with this set up as rs2 ones are nla and dunno which ones could be used as a sub if your can help??? As I want to sort mine soon as I can once I have the right know how

Comment

With the ARB on rear I remember it being the case that you you swap the rear wishbones or struts so that the mountings were in the right place for the ARB and you could then fit the ABY ARB on the back. I have had an ABY ARB I have kept by for a long while to do this, but haven't tried to do it on my coupe yet.
                          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                          X