Front an rear subframe re-fresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front an rear subframe re-fresh

In the next couple of months i will be carrying out a front & rear subframe re-fresh.
    Just want to pick your brains on the essential bits i'll need.
    I have new front and rear subframe bushes and the 4 main Bolts for both frames as they are stretch bolts, so i have read.
    Are there any other bolts etc, that are common to seize up and worth replacing....?

Thanks in advance

I would just allow some extra time as you might find they will need some welding.what bushes you will use on them?OEM or power flex etc?

Comment

Piotr is correct. I'm finding most of my suspension rubber parts are perished or cracked and need replacing. You may as well do your fuel filter, fuel and brake lines while you are there as well as the tank straps and under body protection. When the subframe is off you have easy access to all these things and it turns into a big job
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Hopefully they arent that bad. I have oem for the front an will get powerflex for the rear subframe, as i couldnt source any oem for that.

Comment

I am planning similar work and I will be replacing all the bolts/nuts with zinc coated 10.9 spec and replacing brake lines and dropping fuel tank to check for rust/holes and get it cleaned up and painted. Allowing myself 2 weeks to do all the work. But I have spare differential and subframe parts which will be ready to go on.
          '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
          '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

where did you get the stretch bolts from? I thought audi were the only source and they had become no longer available...

Comment

I was thinking about stainless steel nuts/ bolts.
              How do you know which ones to get as in thread sizes etc?

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                where did you get the stretch bolts from? I thought audi were the only source and they had become no longer available...
                From ecs in the states.

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                  I got my bolts for both subframes from QuattroCorner last year.

Comment

I've reused bolts and they're fine. I use 7zap that usually will state size, thread and length and then just eBay the size and voila.
                    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

I found the four OEM main subframe bushes to be very difficult to instal in even with plenty of lube.The hard rubber lip just start to split up when I was trying to push it in with press. Maybe it was just combination of my bad day and excess of powdercoat.

Comment

i might just get someone else to do that bit as i know its a nightmare.

Comment

What about snapped bolts? I snapped first one I’ve touched

Comment

which bolt has snapped?

Comment

Rear corner of my rear subframe

Comment

Working...
                              X