Powersteering problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powersteering problem.

Hi All,I've had the following problem for approx 12months, roughly 7 out of ten times when starting my 91 S2 for the first time that day the steering wheel is hard to move and it kicks back quite hard when I try to turn it to pull out of my drive, I find if I gently rev the engine the problem goes away and the steering feels and behaves normally again, the warning buzzer sounds sometimes but not everytime this happens,the problem has on the odd occasion happened twice in the same day, but then again some days it doesn't play up at all, I did top up the p/s res with the recommended fluid, the p/s pump is quiet and there doesn't appear to be any leaks..anyone got any ideas about this problem please...
    Thanks in advance.....Alan.. aka Condor..
    :wave: :thumbs:

Bump Anyone??

Comment

Have you tried to flush the system and replace all the p/steering fluid...

Seems to me you have some sludge due to old fluid in the system that needs to be taken out/dilluted with some fresh, new "green stuff".

HTH,

David
      Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

Comment

Alan, sounds like you could have a loose belt or fluid leaking on to the belt.
        Have you checked the tension of the power steering pump belt?
        If the tension is ok have a look at the belt to see if any sort of fluid is getting on the belt or pulley's.
        Your belt could be just a bit loose and with a bit of overnight rain or condensation it slips a little until the friction dry's the belt
        Dez

Never did overtime until i purchased........s2

Comment

I would say check the pump, check the belts (good point about damp belts), check for leaks, and it possibly sounds like you might have some either air, or sludge in your system. Give it a nice flush and re-fill it completely with brand new fluid.
          Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Bomb

Try the brake/steering 'bomb' if this has lost nitrogen pressure there is no 'servo effect' and can effect the steering as you describe.

If you chect the forum I'm sure theres a test you can carry out, it involves running the engine for so long then switching off and pumping the brake pedal X number of times and see if it retains 'servo' effect or goes hard. The valve set can cause the same problem but is unlikely.

Jay

Comment

Power steering

Originally posted by dan_b View Post
              I would say check the pump, check the belts (good point about damp belts), check for leaks, and it possibly sounds like you might have some either air, or sludge in your system. Give it a nice flush and re-fill it completely with brand new fluid.
              Hi Dan b & All, thanks for your replies re the p/s problem, I've checked the belt tightened it a small bit, belt is glazed but doesn't appear to slip, problem still the same at the moment, how do I go about draining & flushing out the system? do I need to remove the pump? if there is air in the system could this have been caused by low fluid level in the res? and how do I get rid of it?
              I've topped the fluid upto the top line, I will check this over the coming weeks to see if it drops indicating a possible leak.
              On a different subject I cleaned the MAF very carefully at the weekend and ISV I can't believe the difference the old girl is so much more responsive and running smoother, I had notice my MPG dropping to so thought I'd give this MAF thing a go, glad I did, but be very very careful if anyone is going to attempt this.
              Thanks again everyone best wishes Alan..
              ps Dan I haven't forgotten I still have your samco hose, I'm hoping to replace mine soon they're in the shed but need some nice warm weather to change em all!

Comment

Working...
              X