How to adjust steering rack preload?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to adjust steering rack preload?

As per title,could somebody advise how to adjust rack preload ?I thought I will have to turn the 10mm bolt on the rack on the little plate but it's solid so maybe I'm.doing something wrong ?

That's the correct one mate. Little 10mm but at the top. It is pretty stiff but it shouldn't be seized.
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Cheers buddy,i will try again

Comment

So I did try to move the 10mm bolt on the top of the rack but it feel solid so I stopped before it would go wrong .I did called steering rack repair workshop and the guy said that this should not be adjusted on the car so I'm confuse now .Is anybody else did that before with good result ?

Comment

Try soak it before and tap it lightly with a hammer if it's not budging. I adjusted mine a year or so ago without issues.
          1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Originally posted by rynaqui View Post
            Try soak it before and tap it lightly with a hammer if it's not budging. I adjusted mine a year or so ago without issues.
            Should I loosen off the other two bolts (13mm I think)On this little plate or not?

Comment

No - just the 10mm centre bolt. They can be quite stiff - undo the adjuster slightly first.
              I will incrementally increase the preload until the steering starts to bind - you will notice this as the steering will not self centre. Be careful as this is an unusual sensation and quite dangerous - tests are best done off the public road
              Once you find the point at which the steering starts to bind, back off the adjuster slightly until normal self-centring is found.
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Lovely -Thank you gents

Comment

why do you do this? never heard of it before? is it when fitting new rack? or does it get softer with time?

Comment

As the rack & pinion wears a little bit, then you have some lash = play in the steering
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Just like Alex said,all the components in my suspension have been replaced but I still have got tiny play and it is in the steering rack so hopefully if I will adjust it the feel of steering should be nicer

Comment

Working...
                      X