No announcement yet.

Loose or twitchy steering - any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose or twitchy steering - any ideas?

Hi folks, gave the old gal 94 Avant a tidy up, new arm bushes, balljoints, arb bushes, drop links, top mounts, track rod ends...... got her all aligned and although she goes straight down the road and fine in corners, shes SOOOO jittery ie the steering wheel translates everything into violent movements. It's fine if u keep a real hold of it but anything less and the steering shakes and wobbles all over the place at the sight of a white line or pebble.

Id bought flowflex bushes for the bottom arms (orange things) before i bought all my others bushes from AK so i suspected it may have been them......... changed them over to powerflex ones and it got alot better. But still there...

Any ideas folks?

That is odd. Did you get a print out from alignment? I had a sketchy episode at an alignment place earlier this year. In a nutshell it was an awful experience which resulted in it not being right. I knew it wouldn't be as I hung around and watched the boy doing it and watching him trying to undo track adjuster lock nuts in the wrong direction and trying to argue with me the ball joints weren't adjustable for camber (ie he didn't know or couldn't be bothered to do it) The print showed it wasn't right despite it being 'finished' so it was done again. Moral of story is don't take it for granted the tracking is right despite it being 'done'.

Wheel bolts tight?

Comment

Is the damper fitted and working ok?
      And Steve is right, could be too much toe in.
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Yeah i appreciate you sometime have to take folks words for things being done. the guy gets a good rep, alighs lots of excotic machines maclarens 4x4s etc and knew excatly what the S2 was when i took it in which is always a good sign. The print out seemed to be all good and in tolerance etc. Shocks are old but no signs of problems Komis with HRs. Its just weirdly loose and vague..... oh i dunno

Comment

Have you checked the two bolts that hold the steering arm bracket to the rack ? Mine were loose and gave very similar symptoms

Comment

nope i havent, but can they become loose by themselves?? (or somebody adjusting summit?!?) that is the sort of feel tho, fine but flakey

Comment

Can I ask who did your alignment? I'm looking to get my done.

Comment

Nuvo - u up in scotland fella?

Comment

Yes, near Glasgow.

Comment

ahh just checking....i use this place. the guy is very passionate about cars (especially older ones! if you go tell him i sent you im sure hed appreciate)

https://www.facebook.com/Hunteralignment/

Comment

Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to mention your name. I see your car features in a short video with a TTRS.

Comment

lol yeah think (apart from the old bolts) he liked mine better! Charactre and soul! lol

Comment

Tried tightening the rack itself? Helped a bit for me.

Comment

Hadn’t to be honest cause i hadn’t slackened anything off but ill have a look. Thanks

Comment

Any news on this issue sir?

Comment

Working...
                              X