Coupe B4 S2 H&R coilovers inserts replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupe B4 S2 H&R coilovers inserts replacement

Hi there, my '96 S2 came with H&R coilovers which shock absorbers seem a bit fatigued.

I think the H&R part # is :

Product no.:HR-MT-90
    Vendor no.:29491-2

I was quoted 250$ usd/each to rebuild them ... which is almost the cost of replacing the whole set.

I was also told it is most likely Bilstein inserts.

Can anyone tell me the replacement Bilstein part # for those ?

Thanks

Bump?

Comment

Somebody here ought to know this, I don't. I suspect there may be at least 3 distinct applicable H&R strut assembly types:

1) They aren't this type (a different P/N, which helpfully says "Do Not Open") are they, which may imply they don't have a sealed removable Bilstein inside? What then?

Sorry, can't currently upload even the tiniest of photos:

(This would be a photo of a H&R labelled front coil-over strut, P/N: F-36-1019-R2/1)

If yes, can you lift the boot slightly on yours and measure the shaft O.D.?

2) & 3) These bits clearly do look suspiciously Bilstein-ish. The top nut type itself may be the easiest give-away without any disassembly:

(This would be a photo of a H&R labelled yellow damper mit der gross-mutter chrom shaft und what could only be a Billy type gland-nut (Yah, sehr Bilstein-ish) saying it could be either 50 or 55mm OD.

So, I guess it depends...

Comment

Hey, thanks for the answer !!

Where about are you in Canada ?

Also, would you have strut inserts bilstein part # for either of those scenarios ?

Before I start and dissassemble everything to look for part #'s

Cheers

Comment

Hi Etsola,

Not sure I gave you any answers (and perhaps I shouldn't), may be a clue or two towards how to get there. I assumed you were talking about the front struts alone, correct? I think it best if you talk to H&R or someone who has exactly what you physically have (struts, springs and dampers), and has done what you propose.

If it were me and I hadn't had this car apart before and wasn't familiar with your particular H&R's, I think I'd want to confirm the following:

a) The type of struts you have (Bilstein-ish(?) type H&R dampers or not), and are they a matched pair; and

b) The strut body dimensions, both tube diameter, and tube length.

c) Springs - a pair? What are their P/N's and / or particularly the effective spring height of the springs?

d) If they contain Bilstein-like H&R's, are there exact Bilstein equivalents (diameter, length and ride-height tolerance)? I have no idea, I would only be guessing. I do recall Steve Briance had two Bilsteins where the yellow bodies were physically shorter than usual. Why would there be such a version, I've no idea, except they must exist to fit into somebody's shorter (and surely of some viable volume of production) struts, maybe these?

e) As you may know for stock struts, there are 2 versions of the yellow Bilstein's that may be considered, and that decision is related to the effective ride height, relative to stock. Your lower perches are adjustable, just to make things more confusing. Your purpose here may be to not raise the car(?), and by how much relative to stock you may not know exactly. Ordinarily (with stock fixed perches) the HD's (a.k.a. B6's) should be run with nearer to stock ride-heights (and taller is OK), and the Sports (B8's) can be run with anything from effectively taller than stock down to shortened to even slightly less than factory sport springs. They may prove to be a simple and suitable substitution, if you confirm and check everything; and get the correct diameter.

So no, I'm not going to give you any P/N's (because I'd just be guessing!), sorry. Better you determine your actual physical requirements and then order based on knowing those, rather than particular P/N's IMHO.

BTW I'm near Kingston, you're near the Museum of Civilization?

Comment

I'm in Gatineau yes, near Ottawa ... so we're not so far

I'm talking about adjustable coilovers right ...

HR-MT-90

https://www.billige-senkesett.no/sho...s2-84041p.html

Cheers

Comment

Yes, I'll try and load the photos (of what may be earlier offerings of H&R adjustable coil-overs) I found again, two points though,

a) Although it may yet be possible, I don't see anything in the various photos of that ad you've linked to which would:

i) Immediately bolt on your car; or
              ii) Positively indicate the usual Bilstein's for stock struts would be directly mountable into them; &

b) H&R appears to have (at least did have, as I only looked at 2007 catalog) had an entire catalog full of coil-overs for cars from Acura to VW, ours (and their own replacement dampers for them) included. The P/N's you'd listed appear there, but here's the thing - if regular B6/B8 Bilstein's are directly mountable in your C/O strut bodies, and were priced more reasonably than H&R's own listed replacement dampers, how would H&R ever have expected to sell any?

So the above may imply that either the substitution won't be so easy if do-able at all, or conversely there is some friendly relationship between the two companies (If they are indeed separate, IHNI) ; and it will work. What I suspect is that it will depend on the vintage of your H&R's.

Comment

Photos:

H&R front strut.png H&R S2 damper diameters 2.png

This type (1st photo) appears as though it could contain a B6/B8, except it warns you Do Not Open! The prefix of its' P/N does remind me of an old Bistein P/N (that would have had a 36mm damper shaft).
                Last edited by Lago Blue; 20 May 2020, 12:30.

Comment

Working...
                X