Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sachs front shocks(?) S2 Avant

Hi Guys,

Needing to replace a busted front shock to get through MOT (should have sorted this sooner!) - I see ECP has Sachs shocks listed for the S2 Avant but I can't seem to find much info about these shocks - here or elsewhere. Are these suitable replacements for the OEM Boge ones?

Here are the ones I'm looking at https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/sachs...rber-635701440

If any one knows another source of shocks that would be ideal as well.

Alternatively, if any one has any standard shocks going spare please let me know!

Cheers,
    Steve
    93 S2 Avant - SOLD
    94 80 V6 Saloon
    00 S3 8L - SOLD

Re: "Are these suitable (front damper) replacements..."

You're aiming to replace just one for now with something, and secondly to end up with a proper pair, yes?

My short response is I don't know, hopefully someone with a spare and/or direct experience will respond.

Here's my read of the Sachs catalog (Version 03 | Valid from 09.2019) pages 12 & 13, there are but two listed for all our chassis in general, one for wagons, and -none- for the S2 or RS2. Yet, did the S2 Avant's not all come with twin-tube types originally?

Someone reading here will know.

Looking carefully at your ad, the photo'd damper's P/N reads 170 426. That P/N in the above catalog is the stock single listing (called out as a twin-tube gas pressure type, and HD; and suitable for the standard lowered suspensions) for the later and heavier V6 cars, while both P/N's are listed for the earlier lighter ones.

Do you know for sure, exactly what you have now?

Re ECP ad: Could a B4 type Bilstein for an Avant not be had on Ebay UK for about half that, and a B6 type for not much more than this ad?

I sympathize with your possible dilemma if you need the car soonest / cheapest. If you're thinking to repair just one side with a used damper, and if the top-mounts are collapsed, re-using the old mount may immediately threaten the re-install (i.e.: did the current damper possibly fail due to a pot-hole strike?), yet a new one will temporarily tilt the front-end, and then more quickly fail. If that was your thought, consider the savings and avoided re-alignment in going new both sides at once to prevent having to re-visit a quick one-sided repair.

Thank goodness for distractions like this to ponder on days like today! We lucky few.

Comment

Hi Lago, cheers for the reply!

You're aiming to replace just one for now with something, and secondly to end up with a proper pair, yes?
      I'd probably replace the pair unless I could simply get another identical shock to then have a matching pair as you say.

I'm not sure what exactly is on there now but assume it's the standard boge part (895 413 503 C).

I've actually subscribed to your other thread on here about installing the Bilstein B6 - a job I'm planning to do when I get the time (I'm about to move house so things are a bit hectic!). I'd rather wait till I can do a full suspension refurb rather than fit now if I can avoid it.

Yeh - I had a look in the Sachs catalogue and didn't see these listed for the S2 so likely these are indeed the V6 shocks.

I've got a couple sets of new top mounts Boge green ones and some meyle HDs - was going to fit the Meyle ones for now then pick up your mount savers to use on the Boge ones when fitting the B6 shocks.

consider the savings and avoided re-alignment in going new both sides at once to prevent having to re-visit a quick one-sided repair.
      Yes, think you're right here. Frustrating thing is I don't have the space or time at the moment to do this so will be getting a garage to fit the shocks. It may turn out I'll need to buy the B6 anyway if I can't find another Boge shock, used or otherwise.

Cheers for the help!

93 S2 Avant - SOLD
      94 80 V6 Saloon
      00 S3 8L - SOLD

Comment

Just 2 quick further points:

- If you needed to go quick and dirty and in case you didn't know, just wanted to make clear that Bilstein does make an equivalent conventional twin-tube (OEM) type very similar to Boge / Sachs originals called the "B4" and likely a close enough mate to your suspected Boge; &

- Despite that the listing below says a 50mm OD damper, I suspect it may actually be 46mm, this may be the above (suitable for what you ought to have - do check yours though, the larger 55mm OD struts and cap-nut ID near to 53.6mm on the internal threads) for your strut, this and your two Meyles would get you going:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genui...FJZv#vi-ilComp

Comment

Thanks again!

I am familiar with the Bilstein B4 but confused by the 50mm OD. The B6s state for 55mm OD and from trawling though threads on here my understanding is all S2s have 55mm OD strut housing (?). If the B4 comes with a 50mm top nut I guess that won't fit my strut (if it is 55mm).

Are you saying if I have a 50mm OD strut on the car then the B4 you linked should be like for like replacement? And if I have 55mm then it won't fit?

I'll try to get some time tomorrow to see if I can measure the strut housing but may just take a punt on buying B4 part anyway and seeing if it'll work - can always return I guess.

Cheers again for the help!
          93 S2 Avant - SOLD
          94 80 V6 Saloon
          00 S3 8L - SOLD

Comment

Hi Steve,

You are right to be asking questions (I've a couple below too), here goes at a few:

Q: "Are you saying if I have a 50mm OD strut on the car then the B4 you linked should be like for like replacement? And if I have 55mm then it won't fit?"
            A: Yes & yes.

- As a work-saver, It may be helpful to ensure to take a few steps before buying;
            - It may be that their are no B4's for 55mm struts which if is the case, is a great excuse to go B6's;
            - The on-line Bilstein catalog I saw, like the Sachs one. didn't list your car that I could see, so be skeptical of size and fitment claims (there may be an older PDF one to be found that might be more helpful);
            - For a '96 V6 Cab, the P/N suffix 444 (same as Ebay ad) damper is listed in the catalog;
            - Check both your struts to confirm what the OD's actually are (do the caps too) and that both are the same;
            - Use a Vernier or plain calipers on the strut tube just below the cap threads;
            - Contact the vendor (have your VIN ready to give them) and get them to measure both the damper body OD; and the cap-nut OD. Note that the Bilstein nut, even for the B4, is slightly different than the original, but will be close OD-wise;
            - In reviewing that Bilstein ad it appears as though what is meant is, that B4 is for a 50mm OD strut-tube;
            - Another question for the vendor would be around this quote from their ad "Any of the brands above / below, equivalent or OE supplier brands may be supplied UNLESS customer specifies."
            - A PDF of a 2014-15 Bilstein catalog does list the S2, S2 Avant & RS2, but only lists B6's & 8's for 55mm front struts; &
            - It also listed two different early (type 89) S2's (both groups starting 09/90 and going to chassis no.: 8A-N-200 000) one with 50's and one with 55mm front struts.

Q: What model year is your Avant? Was there both a B3 and B4 chassis versions of the S2 wagon; and if yes where (what year) was the split?

Comment

Working...
            X