Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear subframe removal

Hi

Never done this before, seen a couple of posts on the forum.

Just wondered if its recommended to just raise the back of the car on jacks or if its easier if you lift on all 4.

How heavy is the rear subframe with everything?

Ive got a jack under the front subframe for support.
    Attached Files
    https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

I wouldn't advice jacking at the front subframe.
    If you have a pallet and two trolley jacks, you can raise the pallet up to meet the subframe and lower it onto the pallet. I put some casters on the pallet then you lower and just roll out.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Like this

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/welcom...0-owner/page18
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Okay, so just let the front down again? or support it?
        Im starting with only rear subframe going to overhaul it with new bushings etc.

Ah. I was thinking about using an europall/wooden thingy and mount wheels or put 2 roller-jacks or what you call it in english hehe.

But like my car is standing on jacks now, stupid question maybe but there isn't any danger of it falling forward when I release the rear subframe?

Tractor dave: looks like a neat solution

Comment

Support all four corners on axle stands so its level. Some put the wheels under the sills, just in case. With good strong axle stands under the jacking points on strong level ground, it shouldn't budge.
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

When I did it in a single garage, I had only the rear of the car up in the air on axle stands and then lowered the subframe down with a jack or two. I don't remember it being too heavy or difficult.
            The Perfectionist
            sigpic
            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Yeah. I have it on 4 stands now as seen in the picture a jack in front as support. Think ill refit front wheels just in case.

Im so worried about those horrorstories regarding the subframe bolts just going around and around. I dont feel like cutting and welding to refit the mounts for the bolts :/ would it be more safe to warm it up first or?

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                When I did it in a single garage, I had only the rear of the car up in the air on axle stands and then lowered the subframe down with a jack or two. I don't remember it being too heavy or difficult.
                Mine is still sitting like this, it's only been a year!! Jack under the diff and down it comes.

Comment

Originally posted by larsaskogstad View Post
                  Im so worried about those horrorstories regarding the subframe bolts just going around and around. I dont feel like cutting and welding to refit the mounts for the bolts :/ would it be more safe to warm it up first or?
                  Mine is a 1990 car and the bolts came out ok, I did work them in and out a bit though because like you I didn't want to be in a situation where the captive nut came free.

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post

Mine is still sitting like this, it's only been a year!! Jack under the diff and down it comes.
                    That rings a bell, jack under the diff.
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic
                    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I did it not so long ago, i just put the rear on the axle stands and chocked the front wheels, I didnt find the subframe that heavy so just rested it on my chest.
                      Last edited by hilly82; 13 July 2020, 18:16.

Comment

oh and i used a little jack to support the diff

Comment

When I was fixing my diff one of subframe bolt already snapped so in nearest future I'll be fixing that. Will be watching this thread.

Comment

If you don't want to remove the diff and leave it in place just support it on a jack. Undo the wishbones 4 bolts, track rod banana arms (from the uprights) and the 3 diff mounts and then remove the 4 subframe bolts and take the subframe away (15Kgs?).

In my case, the problem wasn't the subframe bolts stuck to the captive nuts but seized in the subframe mounts and shearing off. Had to drill out around the rubber mounting to release and then with the subframe off it was easier to remove the remains of the bolt from the captive nut.

Comment

Okay, hmm i want the diff out as well.
                              Okay ill see whats happen.

So release exhaust, caliper, handbrake wire. Recommended to just take out susoension aswell or jyst disconnect it from the rest?

Comment

Working...
                              X