servotronic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• servotronic

hy all, i suppose servotronic is just on early s2's 3b's? anyone tried to turn it off and drive the car? is there any theorethical chance to make a swith to turn servotronic on and off (like abs)?

sla s2
    sla
    '91 s2 3b, 305hp, 480 nm.
    www.4plius.com

Sla,

Correct m8, servotronic assistance was only available on early S2s.
    It's easy to switch it off by unplugging the servotronic relay mounted under the rear seat.

I'm sure you could create some sort of switch by interupting one or more of the connections going to the unit. The best option would probably be the vehicle speed signal, however, that may leave you will full assistance all the time!! Not much fun.

Give it a try

Steve
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

I unplugged mine, it feels so much better. Its a little bit heavy when parking but nothing a normal person cant deal with, but when on the open road, there is more feed back through the wheel.

Just unplug the module from under the rear seat. Job done.
      sigpic
      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
      Audi UR Quattro
      Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
      Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

What does this module look like - I may give this a try myself, the steering on my 91 S2 is Nissan Micra-esque light sometimes!
        Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

i wonder myself, could anyone post the picture of it?

sla
          sla
          www.4plius.com

Comment

Hi,

If you remove the rear seat (two screws) you'll see the servotronic unit. You can't miss the relay, it has 'servotronic' printed on the side of it

Cheers
            Steve.
            91 Modded 3B
            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

thank you steve, looks like i was blind:eek2:

sla
              sla
              www.4plius.com

Comment

So what you're saying is "you can't miss it"

Comment

Its on the drivers side under the rear seat as Steve said, it is about 4" x 2" and yes it does say servotronic. Just unplug it for normal feeling steering. Slightly heavy at low speed but loads better when on the move.
                  sigpic
                  Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                  Audi UR Quattro
                  Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Oh god! why didn't I do this earlier??

I today unplugged the servotronic relay on my 3B 1991 S2 and the difference in the feel in the steering is quite extraordinary!

If anyone here has a 3B coupe with the servotronic power steering, do the mod - the difference it makes is the best upgrade you've ever done to the car, and it's free!

I can actually feel the road now

Now all I have to do is the short shift kit and the brakes...

Comment

Top mod innit!! Thats what it should have been like from the factory
                      sigpic
                      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                      Audi UR Quattro
                      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

It is much improved - certainly a lot heavier at slow speed, but there is much more feel, and it feels a lot more solid. As you say, why wasn't it like this standard from the factory?!

Comment

Just wondering, having disconnected the evil servotronic relay, I can now hear a slight "hissing" sound from the steering when significant turning angle is applied to the steering (eg parking) - should I worry about this? What might this be?

If you've got a 3B and haven't done this yet, do it! Free upgrades - brilliant.

Comment

need to disconnect mine actually though i get moans and hisses anyway - standard S2 powersteering pump noises i guess. Could be you have a bit of air in the system but if you hold it on lock for a couple of seconds I think that is supposed to help build the pressure and also rid it of any excess air - anyone verify????

Cheers,

David
                            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

The hiss is certainly only when you're actually turning the wheel - once you stop, it stops.
                              I do have a tiny tiny leak in my steering system somewhere, pump and rack were replaced 12 months ago, but I have to top up the ps fluid level every 3 months or so...

Now all I need is the quickshift to really have improved my "driver interface"!

Comment

Working...
                              X