Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaky Rear Top Mounts?

Hello again,

I have noticed what appears to be a squeak from my rear top mounts when going over bumps at low speed. As far as I know, they have never been changed. Is this a sign that they need renewing or is there some lubrication required. (S2 Coupe)

Any BTDT's appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Could it be the drop links? I have similar squeaky noises and was pointed towards the drop links. I haven't got around to changing them yet though...

Comment

I’ve just changed my rear inserts on my 3b coupe including top mounts , bump stops and gaiters, top mounts were original and totally fooked

Comment

Originally posted by Colesy View Post
        Could it be the drop links? I have similar squeaky noises and was pointed towards the drop links. I haven't got around to changing them yet though...
        Possibly, I have not changed them for years. Could be worth a look...
        The Perfectionist
        sigpic
        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by simons2 View Post
          I’ve just changed my rear inserts on my 3b coupe including top mounts , bump stops and gaiters, top mounts were original and totally fooked
          This could well be the case!
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic

Comment

WRT "squeaky over bumps", I'd tend to agree with Colesy re where to look first, and if poly bushes anywhere which see rotative motion are present, that would be another place to check also. It's not your two adjustable rear hatch-stops rubbing on their touch-down spots on the rear boot sill is it?

If you are replacing top-mounts, this suggests you reinforce them with Strut-Stops, and choose mounts reco'd for use with this mod. Over four years of independent testing (by fellow forum members) with zero failures, and other benefits.

Further reading if this option might interest you:

Sourcing:

Strut-Stops advert

Choosing top-mounts (paragraphs #39 and 40 in this thread):

Reco'd for use with Strut-Stops

I'd be happy to try and answer any questions you might have.
            Last edited by Lago Blue; 22 September 2020, 22:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Lago Blue View Post
              WRT "squeaky over bumps", I'd tend to agree with Colesy re where to look first, and if poly bushes anywhere which see rotative motion are present, that would be another place to check also. It's not your two adjustable rear hatch-stops rubbing on their touch-down spots on the rear boot sill is it?

If you are replacing top-mounts, this suggests you reinforce them with Strut-Stops, and choose mounts reco'd for use with this mod. Over four years of independent testing (by fellow forum members) with zero failures, and other benefits.

Further reading if this option might interest you:

Sourcing:

Strut-Stops advert

Choosing top-mounts (paragraphs #39 and 40 in this thread):

Reco'd for use with Strut-Stops

I'd be happy to try and answer any questions you might have.
              Thanks Lago, I appreciate you taking the time to post, I will check these suggestions out!
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic

Comment

More than likely the drop links but if the rear top mounts havent been changed then worth doing and not hard, just access i seem to remember being a pain...boot liner removal and unscrew the 1/4 trims where the oem speakers were.
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                X