hard steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard steering

just jumped into the car to nip out turned the steering and it was very hard to turn on the spot near full lock no growning no leaks belt and fluid level ok any help on this please only had the car back in regular use for 2 wks now
    Last edited by pastures16; 15 February 2007, 20:04.
    94 s2 avant
    aoc member 1116

any help here before i go and spend a stupid amount of money on a rack or pump
    94 s2 avant
    aoc member 1116

Comment

Originally posted by pastures16 View Post
      any help here before i go and spend a stupid amount of money on a rack or pump
      Not much help, but how are your tyre pressures??? too low and it may make the steering a bit harder??

Ball joints seizing up??? i know one went on my old coupe, but i changed the rack thinking it was that and it wasnt, so i wasted quite a few £££'s it was the ball joint.

Put front of your car on a set of axle stands, and with weight off the front of the car the steering should turn easily, if a bit tight then it may be the ball joint??

Hope this is reasonable sound advice.

Brian

Comment

Mine used to do this (along with the other PAS / brake gremlins) before I replaced the PAS pump, used to disappear when I was on the move.

Got a secondhand PAS pump off the forum form one of those Avant thingys that keep being broken for parts . Great condition and much better than the 150k piece of ***** that was on there (Cheers Jon441cc ) slightly cheaper than a replacement new one at £300. Luck of the draw I suppose. Flushing the fluid through used to make a difference too and for £6 a go from GSF I flushed it through about 4 times in a month!

I had originally thought that my PAS / brake problem was bomb related but replacing the pump seems to have dispelled that one, cured the (!) and made everything quiet.
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Sounds daft but have you checked the hydraulic fluid level is topped up? Is it the green fluid in there ATM?

Comment

level is fine
            although the car has always had red atf and never had this problem before
            94 s2 avant
            aoc member 1116

Comment

level is fine
              although the car has always had red atf and never had this problem before
              Can't believe you just said that Si, how many times has it been said about using red ATF in a system designed for green mineral only? it even has a warning on the PAS bottle filler cap saying this?

Get it changed, red ATF WILL rot the seals in the pump, rack and the rest of the system.
              BTDT on my old 2.3e where a garage used that. I needed new rack, new pas pump and three pas lines because of the red crap and didn't see any change from £700.
              2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
              2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
              1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

level is fine
                although the car has always had red atf

There's your answer right there. Completely the wrong fluid for the PAS system. Get it changed immediately for the genuine Audi green goo and pray to your particular deity that it hasn't rotted the whole system.
                Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

sounds like seals have gone/going in the pump, there are companys that recondition them, i have done the atf trick and had to get a recon pump, i use normal hydraulic oil

Comment

yeh i know but thought if it wasnt broke dont fix it dumb *** me
                    but on a good point all it turned out to be was a very soft o/s/f tyre blew it up and hey presto so what oil and how much do i need it says hyd mineral oil on the cap can i use any hrd oil any specs p/n etc
                    94 s2 avant
                    aoc member 1116

Comment

yeh i know but thought if it wasnt broke dont fix it dumb *** me
                      but on a good point all it turned out to be was a very soft o/s/f tyre blew it up and hey presto so what oil and how much do i need it says hyd mineral oil on the cap can i use any hrd oil any specs p/n etc
                      Green mineral fluid "G 004 000 (updated from "G 002 000". ).
                      Available from dealers, GSF, ECP also some good motor factors.
                      You can also use "Febi Bilstein M 6162" green mineral fluid. Dealers (Teeside Audi) head tech told me Febi Bilstein make the stuff for Audi.
                      Steer clear of green mineral fluid called LHM for use in s'citroen hydraulic systems, it's a lot thinner.
                      Can't remember off the top of my head how much the system takes from empty to full, two bottles (1 litre per bottle) should be enough though.
                      Too bleed, turn the steering from lock to lock a few times, it's self bleeding.
                      Last time I bought some it was £5 a bottle.
                      2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                      2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                      1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

You'll need a lot more than two bottles to flush out all the red stuff. When I got mine it had ATF in and it took at least five bottles to get rid of the red. The red shows up really well when it is mixed with the green so it's easy to tell when you've got rid of it all. Don't forget that you have to drain the rack aswell, take off the feed hose and wind the steering back and forth until no fluid comes out.
                        It's a real PIA to do properly. Good luck
                        sigpic
                        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

The pump is easy to re-seal yourself, if your handy with your hands you can change all the seals in about an hour----HERE Is the link to the overhaul. I pray its not the rack as i have heard they are a biatch to do. Seal kits are cheap from the stealer, the hardest part is having the right tools to remove the coupling. They are on fairly tight, a puller should get it once the belt part of the pulley is unbolted
                          Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

You can also use
                            http://www.kroon-oil.com/uk/products...did=276&m=desc

It's green as well and cheaper...
                            Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

Comment

cheers for the input lads
                              94 s2 avant
                              aoc member 1116

Comment

Working...
                              X