Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted to know which springs I have

Hi,

I am looking for change my car fitment, including another wheels.

The main problem I have is that I don´t know how low is my car, I don´t have the stock reference to know How low is it.
    Does anyone know which springs are these? I think it could be st springs with koni coilovers, but i am not shure.

If I put H&R springs (-35) I really dont know if I will stay with the same fitment or higher

I would like to low it a little bit more, but I think I have to put at least -40 or -50 to have it.
    Attached Files

Hi DJ,

It may be, going by the colour at least, that the springs in your photo are from H&R, I don't know but they may be the FWD version of the Q spring set I have, see mine here:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...74#post2103374

There may be readable labelling on your springs too? What has been going on to rub the paint off that rear damper?

I think you are estimating correctly WRT what I'm going to call 'the proposed removal of any remaining sensible spring height' that is going to be necessary to drop the car further, so perhaps you can guess my opinion on what you are contemplating. It may be in part that the scant response you've had to similar posts reflects what other often helpful and experienced folk here view possibly with good reasons as, a direction best not to be taken. Perhaps you have driven an identical car with the changes you're thinking of?

I do think your car and wheels look simply excellent, just as is. I don't know exactly how low your car is, but it's low enough. Your car is at least 120kg lighter than any Coupe Q, so therefore it's more nimble and quicker than any of those, will your changes improve on that, no. Consider also that the value of your car is largely in the fact that it is probably entirely rust-free, appears to have been adult-owned and is so far unmolested. Technically, further lowering and perhaps larger wheels and lower aspect ratio tires, (if that's the plan?) will be at the detriment of ride and handling, they may also be something you will want to reverse later on. Know that the springs required to run at ever increasing amounts of drop have to be, in terms of ride comfort, disproportionately stiffer just to prevent the suspension from bottoming, and bigger wheels and less compliant tires will also act to make the car feel; even more agricultural.

Technical improvements which would provide an actual increase in driving enjoyment (and cost less) would be items such as the renewal of all the transmission mounts, upgrade the engine snub and receiver, renew all chassis bushings and top-mounts with more durable yet still very near to stock installations that (full disclosure) some of which for example I make kits to allow (see 'Arm-Stops' and 'Strut-Stops'), higher performance tires, and perhaps a short-shift kit from another forum member here (contact DeS), an S2 steering wheel if you don't have one. You'd still have unspent wheel/tire/spring money left over to put towards some track-time or perhaps a driver's school on the Curcuit at Montmeló if they have such. Just my opinion only, but these are the kind of changes you won't get tired of.

Comment

Originally posted by Lago Blue View Post
      Hi DJ,

It may be, going by the colour at least, that the springs in your photo are from H&R, I don't know but they may be the FWD version of the Q spring set I have, see mine here:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...74#post2103374

There may be readable labelling on your springs too? What has been going on to rub the paint off that rear damper?

I think you are estimating correctly WRT what I'm going to call 'the proposed removal of any remaining sensible spring height' that is going to be necessary to drop the car further, so perhaps you can guess my opinion on what you are contemplating. It may be in part that the scant response you've had to similar posts reflects what other often helpful and experienced folk here view possibly with good reasons as, a direction best not to be taken. Perhaps you have driven an identical car with the changes you're thinking of?

I do think your car and wheels look simply excellent, just as is. I don't know exactly how low your car is, but it's low enough. Your car is at least 120kg lighter than any Coupe Q, so therefore it's more nimble and quicker than any of those, will your changes improve on that, no. Consider also that the value of your car is largely in the fact that it is probably entirely rust-free, appears to have been adult-owned and is so far unmolested. Technically, further lowering and perhaps larger wheels and lower aspect ratio tires, (if that's the plan?) will be at the detriment of ride and handling, they may also be something you will want to reverse later on. Know that the springs required to run at ever increasing amounts of drop have to be, in terms of ride comfort, disproportionately stiffer just to prevent the suspension from bottoming, and bigger wheels and less compliant tires will also act to make the car feel; even more agricultural.

Technical improvements which would provide an actual increase in driving enjoyment (and cost less) would be items such as the renewal of all the transmission mounts, upgrade the engine snub and receiver, renew all chassis bushings and top-mounts with more durable yet still very near to stock installations that (full disclosure) some of which for example I make kits to allow (see 'Arm-Stops' and 'Strut-Stops'), higher performance tires, and perhaps a short-shift kit from another forum member here (contact DeS), an S2 steering wheel if you don't have one. You'd still have unspent wheel/tire/spring money left over to put towards some track-time or perhaps a driver's school on the Curcuit at Montmeló if they have such. Just my opinion only, but these are the kind of changes you won't get tired of.
      Hello!!

I appreciate your opinion!

Maybe you are right and It could be H&R springs... I really don´t know, I have this car for 14 years without doing big estetical changes so I want to do some changes to see the car with another eyes.

As you said, I know that wide wheels and low springs make the car driving worse. But at this moment I only use the car to have a ride without taking care how fast it is. Of course, if I dont like it, I can go back to my original fitment.

You are right regarding rust-free and adult-owned. the car was fully painted 5 years ago, and I oppened and restored the engine 3 years ago.
      At this moment I have spent lot of money renewal all brake system and I still having problems... Rest of things are up to day like chassis, engine and changebox bushings, lot of sensors etc.

During this "restoration", I arrived to the moment that coilovers are a must, and that why I am looking another springs. Because I want to do both things at same time.

I had a 35cm wheel many years and It was better for driving that the s2 steering wheel. Of course, at this moment I have a s2 one but only for aesthetic. Maybe short-shift kit could be interesting. I saw years ago in 034 webside but it is not cheap and I have another things to do firstly hehe. But maybe in a short future. My only engine improvement is a bosch kit conversion. I bough all parts but I didn´t assamble at this moment.

At this moment I still having small mechanical problems regarding injection, brake issues etc. So they are my priority.

Regards

Comment

Working...
      X