Bilstein Rear Coil Positioning Ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilstein Rear Coil Positioning Ring

I have fitted a new set of Bilstein 24-062121 Shock absorbers to the avant and the car now sits at around 20mm too high at the rear.

Some searching has thrown up a couple of threads with this one most relevant:
    https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...upgrade-photos

So it looks like the lower ring needs to be lowered. 20mm is mentioned in the above thread. But this is in reference to an RS2. So I was wondering how much it should be lowered for an avant at stock ride height?

Cutting the new ring is going to be the next issue as they typically aren't supplied with the appropriate rings for each model despite being sold as a direct replacement!

Attached Files

I think if you speak nicely to Bilstien they will sort for you. I remember Joss here got them to do it for free. They are meant to fit but clearly don't. The ride difference between S2 and RS2 can't be much. Maybe 5mm? Anyone?
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Hi Wil, I think B6s are generally 20mm too high across the B3/B4 range. I've been told that you can specify to the reseller you want additonal grooves and Bilstein will oblige. That's not much help after you've purchased them though. Any decent machine shop cut new grooves on a lathe for you, I made enquiries myself to a shop but never got around to dismantling everything.
      Last edited by Nuvo; 11 June 2022, 15:26.

Comment

This seconds what Dave & Nuvo have said regarding a new groove above. In the past, this damper has come supplied with various numbers of grooves, 1 thru 4. Be sure to assemble these 3 parts with anti-seize, even if you don't foresee the need to ever dis-assemble them currently.

Smaller (than groove spacing) height increases can be accomplished with plastic spacer rings on top of the alloy seat (similar to other coil-overs) if the sharp end of the spring is hand-filed to both smooth and to round off the spring's "heel".

Before you decide where to cut, this asks in what condition are your front top-mounts? The front end of the car can be raised slightly with new top-mounts, and kept that way with Strut-Stops.

Comment

Working...
        X