Alignment and uneven tyre wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment and uneven tyre wear

Have some uneven tyre wear - the inside of the offside front is wearing more heavily than the rest of the tyre. It's just that tyre, the rest are good and even.

Have had the alignment and tracking, camber and toe-in all checked, and nothing seems amiss.

Choices:
    1. Disbelieve the place that checked the above and try somewhere else as well.
    2. Something else is causing the uneven tyre wear.
    3. ??

Any thoughts and suggestions much appreciated!

Ck.
    Shocked, exhausted, hosed, bushed, dumped, chipped, mounted, filtered, gauged, packed, intermittantly wiped and braked. I mean broken. Now, about the car...

knackered bushes - wheel would only then go out of alignment under acceleration or braking.
    sigpic

Comment

Fair thought - thank you!

But... poly bushes with c. 10k miles on them, so should be in fine shape. Top mounts weren't done much before the bushes, and are blue.

Ck.
      Shocked, exhausted, hosed, bushed, dumped, chipped, mounted, filtered, gauged, packed, intermittantly wiped and braked. I mean broken. Now, about the car...

Comment

Your drive?

I have seen it in the past, wear on one tyre different to the rest, just because the guy went turning up and down the same bit of uneven road every day.

Just a thought.
        acidtrax

Comment

Hadn't thought of that!

The drive was completely replaced about two years ago with good smooth well drained tarmac. I don't consistently turn out of it in one direction: work is one way, shops are the other. The only consistent repeated bit is positioning and reversing into the garage... but since I work partly from home and partly staying away, that doesn't happen much more than a couple of times a week.

Ck.

Comment

i had something similar on the o/s front on mine, camber was out and the first place to look at it said it was adjusted as far as it would go. Took it to Elite in Rainham, Essex and they sorted it. Not sure why the adjustment was at its max, maybe something was bent but its good as gold now and they only had to change a strut/stub axle bolt for a thinner one to get it spot on.
            Ragusa Coupe gone!
            sigpic
            VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
            VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
            vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

Originally posted by curlyks2 View Post

Have some uneven tyre wear - the inside of the offside front is wearing more heavily than the rest of the tyre. It's just that tyre, the rest are good and even.

Have had the alignment and tracking, camber and toe-in all checked, and nothing seems amiss.

Choices:
              1. Disbelieve the place that checked the above and try somewhere else as well.
              2. Something else is causing the uneven tyre wear.
              3. ??

Any thoughts and suggestions much appreciated!

Ck.
              Get it checked again
              Alastair
              RS2

Comment

Originally posted by alg
                Get it checked again
                Looking like a good option

The question then becomes where to get it all checked, so...

Where, preferably between Harrow and Birmingham and accessible relatively easily from M1 or M40, has the right kit and knowledge to do a really good check (and adjust if neccessary) of 4 wheel alignment, camber, toe-in, etc?

Ck.

Comment

i think my tracking is out
                  or bushes fooked
                  Attached Files
                  1. SHORT SHIFT KIT
                  2. PORSCHE CAYENNE CALIPERS
                  3. H & R SPRINGS
                  4. BILSTEIN SHOXS
                  5. NEW BUSHES AND HP2 STRUTS
                  6. UPRATED HIGH OUTPUT COIL PACK
                  7. ,3" turbo back s/s/ exhaust
                  8. fmic fitted

Comment

Thats exactly what my front tyres looked like but mine was'nt showing that much wire!
                    It could be either top mounts or your trackings out, too much negative camber causes that.

I replaced my top-mounts to blue ones and had alignment done, seems to have sorted the problem but only time/mileage will tell.
                    '95 ABY Avant - Sold
                    '98 B5 S4 -MRC400+ = 464ps 741nm

Comment

if it is any concelation, both my back tyres look like that on the inside edge.

Jon
                      Jon, Jane, Bradley and Hayden.

Audi S4 (100) avant quattro 1993
                      Mitsubishi Delica L300 exceed 1992
                      Audi 100 estate 2.5tdi 1992
                      Kawasaki ZX9R B1 1994
                      Suzuki 400 Bandit 1994

Comment

Find someone with a beissbarth system,bloody good bit of kit

Comment

Working...
                        X