PowerFlex/H&R/Koni Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerFlex/H&R/Koni Combo

Having fitted PowerFlex front bushes (Audi rear upper control arm bushes), H&R springs and red Koni dampers to my RS2 I can confirm the car is transformed - though with 88,000 on the clock and assuming original parts this is to be expected The recommended front Koni is fixed rate and the rear was set to a medium setting (those of you experiencing a loose rear with this may have the back set too hard so it skips, just a thought).

1) Less rear squat and rising bonnet under acceleration - strangely this makes the car feel quicker!

2) It also eliminated some of the driveline shunt I discussed elsewhere so it seems this was due to front/rear weight transfer during gear changes rather than duff engine/gearbox/diff mounts.

3) Vastly improved lateral stability under braking and reduced nose dive.

4) Elimination of a steering dead spot around the dead ahead position.

5) Improved turn-in reduced body roll and more faithful line in the bend.

6) The ability to gently dab the brakes mid bend if you misjudge entry speed or tightening apex without unduly disturbing the car - just gentle tuck in.

And I haven't even replaced the crappy Uniroyal tyres with Michelin Pilot Sport 2's yet... booked in to Micheldever for Friday, watch this space...
    Cheers,
    Chasman
    1994 RS2 in RS Blue Pearlescent

Hiya - thanks for the report.

I've got a coupe, but can you tell me how much were the suspension bits and where to buy from, as I've yet to get round to suspension. I don't want to lower the car, however - want standard height, and the only outside clue that the car might be something other than a 2.0 normal coupe to be the wheels (no badges and crappy paint so no one looks twice at it right now anyway Hmmm. Might put a '1.8s' or '2.0e' badge on... )

Cheers, Paul
    'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

The PowerFlex bushes and Koni's were through Proven Producst who were absolutely brilliant when Koni cocked up and forgot to send them and then ANC lost a set in transit - top marks! Can't recall where I ordered the H&Rs but they are 30mm lowering springs so don't fit your criteria - though lowering the centre of gravit this much must surely be a significant factor in the benefits I described.
      Cheers,
      Chasman

Comment

Paul

After the meeting in Feb I will be running Konis with Standard springs and RS2 ARBS front and rear, you've already been in my car an comented that it was a lot better than yours (thanks ) so with the ARBs it should be great.

All this an no outside signs of upgrades at all!
        Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Koni reds are available to the front?!?! I assume they will fit my coupe if they fit the RS2. Do you have a P/N to tell?
          Probably there aren't koni reds to the rear
          -

Comment

Yeah Leigh - to me, your car struck a very nice balance between grip, lean, and ride. Just needed a K26 to push it along a bit faster Right now mine strikes a nice balance between scaring me shitless, making me seasick and tipping over on corners with the stock (rusty bedspring style) set up, especially with the 'teflon' grip leather seats.

Definitely on the 'to do list'. Need to sort out one of those whiteline ARB too for the back (front RS2 ARB on it's way courtesy o the fine chaps at Vagparts).

PJ
            'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Well done! Good report on handling improvement. I have ordered all those things as well - except my Koni's are the non-adjustable Sports.

As you point out, the real gain with shorter springs is in a lower CG. Any problems from reduced shock travel or bump steer with the lowered car?

You don't mention if you have changed your ARB's. Stock?

R

Comment

Originally posted by porkkis
                Koni reds are available to the front?!?! I assume they will fit my coupe if they fit the RS2. Do you have a P/N to tell?
                Probably there aren't koni reds to the rear
                For RS2:

Rear Front
                8210-1160Sport 86-2086SPD2

But best to check yours here http://www.koni.com/_cars/_suspension/afram.html

PowerFlex (front only aluminium wishbones) PFF 3-102

H&Rs 29969-1

Please verify for your car when you order - I don't want to upset anyone!

All 4 are red in colour and the rears are adjustable off the car by pushing the rod down inside. No T/As available :mad: as far as I could tell.

KW do coilovers that fit the RS2 but I found out too late to change - my arrangements - anyone feel like trying some out? 1600 quid from Dahlback :eek2: Their Variant 3 dampers are adjustable for compression, rebound and height (but only for height when on the car).
                Cheers,
                Chasman

Comment

Originally posted by 91_S2
                  Well done! Good report on handling improvement. I have ordered all those things as well - except my Koni's are the non-adjustable Sports.

As you point out, the real gain with shorter springs is in a lower CG. Any problems from reduced shock travel or bump steer with the lowered car?

You don't mention if you have changed your ARB's. Stock?

R
                  I haven't noticed any bump steer, or arch rubbing yet but I'm still acclimatising - though in honesty my driving is more conservative than some peoples (I'm not really into sliding or drifiting on public roads).

As far as I know the ARBs are stock RS2... what's the deal with the Whiteline ARB is it adjustable?
                  Cheers,
                  Chasman

Comment

Originally posted by LPHUK2002
                    All this and no outside signs of upgrades at all!
                    Even lowered 30mm my car doesn't exactly look like you can roll beer cans... :wacked: I took a before photo so when I've taken an after I'll post them both...
                    Cheers,
                    Chasman

Comment

Originally posted by Chasman
                      though in honesty my driving is more conservative than some peoples (I'm not really into sliding or drifiting on public roads).

As far as I know the ARBs are stock RS2... what's the deal with the Whiteline ARB is it adjustable?
                      Nobody is advocating mad driving on public roads I think. Atleast I hope not.

Whiteline rear ARBs are adjustable but are for S2's. Not sure if they fit the RS2.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_S2
                        Nobody is advocating mad driving on public roads I think. Atleast I hope not.

Whiteline rear ARBs are adjustable but are for S2's. Not sure if they fit the RS2.
                        Yes I'm sure all discussions of tyres which break away progressively and other in extemis handling characteristics herein are the result of track days... :wacked: But having once seen a brand new Lancia Evo III go backwards into a tyre wall at Goodwood I won't be trying that either...it hit on a rear corner and bent the whole car into a huge rhomboid shape. The occupants were lucky too - their seats (being of road variety) snapped - harnesses of course being no good if you're going backwards. My buddy crashed his R5 the same day (damp track) and the A-pillar left a paint mark on the crash helmet I lent him. Salutory lessons...

At the risk of getting an embarassing answer - who makes the Whiteline ARB? - if it's a company called Whiteline I'm going to hide in my wardrobe in embarassment.
                        Cheers,
                        Chasman

Comment

Re: PowerFlex/H&R/Koni Combo

[And I haven't even replaced the crappy Uniroyal tyres with Michelin Pilot Sport 2's yet... booked in to Micheldever for Friday, watch this space... [/B]
                          Looking to replace the tyres on mine and was planning to go for the Michelin Pilot Sport 2s as well. I was wondering whether to go to Micheldever given they've got a good reputation and my car is very precious LOL. Lived in Winchester years ago and they did the tyres on my Renault 11.

Are you getting Micheldever to do 4 wheel alighnment for you too?

Comment

Micheldever are excellent on price and service. As of a few years ago they have weird full length lift things set in the floor and they seem to support the entire car instead of just the jacking points.

I took my Lotus Elise there and had no problems - it had one jacking point to lift both wheels on one side but if you jack it in the wrong place you can write off the entire chassis so I've put my money where my mouth is on this.

Yes I'm in for 4 wheel alignment too... you can even book yourself into a "premier bay" with an allotted time so you don't have to queue. All this service and cheap prices too...
                            Cheers,
                            Chasman

Comment

At the risk of getting an embarassing answer - who makes the Whiteline ARB? - if it's a company called Whiteline I'm going to hide in my wardrobe in embarassment.
                              better find your wardrobe, made by whiteline in australia.
                              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                              X