strange after landing jump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange after landing jump

On My way home their is this bump were I often Jump with the RS2.

Last week I went for Air time but to big. Landing I lost the front spoiler and bent the two front wheel's.
    I have now change the two front wheel fix the spoiler and I went to check the tracking.
    Tracking is fine.

I got too strange thing that I can't understand:

- First now the car is about 10mm more high front than it was and back it's about 10 mm lower.

I went under the car with the guy from the tracking and nothing look bent or wrong.

- Second if I turn full lock in first gear on a parking the front wheel are riping ( like understeer at 5km/H)
    If the surface is very smooth and i accelerate in first gear then it really understeer a lot.

Do you have any idea what it could be?

Wishbone look fine, no play in bushing, subframe tight and straigth.
    I will take out the suspension to have a look tomorow.

In my understanding the only thing that could make higher the front would be longer coil or longer spring and opposit for back getting lower.
    RS2 chip by mihnea,PKM short IM, forge dump valve, 3" custom stainless exhaust, 18"X8" Porsche 996 rims, conti contact 245/35 Front 225/40 Rear, QR sport top mount, Powerflex bushes, aloy sub frame bushes, neuspeed 19mm RARB,Hard tranny mount, V8 torsen on RS2

just

wondering, why, why would you jump your beautiful rs2??? I see you have an avatar off skiing, why dont you jump there??

As to your q? I do not know what could have given way, but you should do a full wheel alignment. And check all the bolts and nuts on the suspension.
    japanischer industriabfall nein danke!!
    www.rackeltrim.se Icelandic Division

Comment

Check the lower spring pans to see of the springs are still seated properly

Cheers n

Si
      95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
      Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
      With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Sorry I like to get air with what ever:
        Windsurf, ski, MX, mountain bike, Car ...

As I said full alignement done was spot on.

Front spring seat properly
        RS2 chip by mihnea,PKM short IM, forge dump valve, 3" custom stainless exhaust, 18"X8" Porsche 996 rims, conti contact 245/35 Front 225/40 Rear, QR sport top mount, Powerflex bushes, aloy sub frame bushes, neuspeed 19mm RARB,Hard tranny mount, V8 torsen on RS2

Comment

Sorry no picture of the RS2 jump
          Attached Files

Comment

Ahh nothing like a bit of airborne action, the weirdest fealing is if you get the rear wheels down first and they start pushing

Cant explain your ride height issues but for the scrubbing front check your tie rods are straight, i had a bent one before and did exactly that, tracking was fine straight ahead but when turning the two wheels started fighting against each other. Something to do with teh ackerman angles getting messed up.
            91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
            93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
            94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Mcandmar thank you I will check that.

what is Ackerman angles

Comment

Barmy, with an RS2 too. I can understand all this extreme adrenaline stuff, and speed etc....but there are too many things that can go snap when jumping a car....and an RS2 too......

I'd rather it go sideways than up.

Comment

result of 20 meter jump with my ex Scooby
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by maRS2 View Post
                    result of 20 meter jump with my ex Scooby

I rest my case.

Comment

Now I do like a wee 'yump' myself

Nothing too extreme now - if anybody else wants to take the 'seven sisters' challenge in an S2/RS2 I can guarantee some good fun.

No jokes please....

The 'seven sisters' is a rather enjoyable stretch of road nr Glenoe in Co. Antrim where you can get airborne 7 times in short succession over a series of yumps. It used to be properly famous when part of the original CoI rally route. Not so anymore. Great bit of tarmac from there over the countryside Northbound and into Sallagh Brae. I could use a run up there this weekend actually... Away from the kids, the house and the whole lot - just fupp off - let me find some decent blackstuff for an hour.

Getting back to topic - agree that its wise to check everything is as straight as it should be. Aggressive yumping can be bad for the health - it can break a strengthened WRC car so a roadgoing machine is going to punished by hard landings !

Paul
                      Paul Nugent
                      Webmaster http://S2central.net
                      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Heres a RS2 jumping,

Sound like you enjoy your cars
                        Chef

Comment

Last time I jumped a car was back in the '90s on the 'Yorkshire Bumps' an infamous stretch of road above Keighley. Managed some serious air in my Passat GT 2.0 16v and snapped both front struts. Thankfully it was still driveable, so it was back home and get some lowered suspension quick smart.
                          However, despite it being a cracking excuse to get coilovers, I don't jump cars anymore - I wouldn't want to have my car end up like that Scooby...
                          Nothing feels fast for long...
                          sigpic

2000 Audi RS4 - Kingfisher Blue ~+~ 2004 Audi Allroad 2.5 Tdi - Ebony Black Pearl

Comment

I know I should start grow up

May be next week when I turn 41 year old this will happen

Comment

It’s all steering geometry, when turning both wheels are not parallel but pointing at slightly different angles.

These Audis use a weird setup in that the front wheels are connected buy long tie rods mounted at the centre of the rack. Most cars have a sort linkage at each end. The steering rack acts more like a hydraulic piston that a regular rack/pinion in the way it works.

From what i can tell it is very important that both tie rods are exactly the same length. If one if shorter than the other the degree change of the above principal is different from left to right.

I also noticed if your car is tracked you can have the steering rack slightly off centre, so one linkage is longer than the other. Easy way to tell? Yep, let go of the steering and brake, if the car pulls to one side that’s how much you’re off. The way i did mine was to brake and let it stop, then mark the top of the wheel as the actual rack centre, and then adjusted the tracking with the steering wheel locked in that position. Now when i brake the car stops in a straight line

@Paul, Think i know the road you’re talking about, some of them are like a rollercoaster ride

Pic might help explain the above..

Mark.
                              91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                              93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                              94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Working...
                              X