Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Mounts, Suspension, How Easy Or Difficult?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Mounts, Suspension, How Easy Or Difficult?

Hello all.

With the annual service coming up, there's a few things I need to sort out. When I bought the car it had 245's on. Now I know this has been been discussed ad infinitum, so am gonna replace with 225's P Zero's and a four wheel allignment. Before this I want to replace top mounts.

Been quoted 2hrs a wheel to replace the top mounts, plus a couple of rear suspension bushes need doing both sides. The bushes I think will let Autopool do. I fancy doing the top mounts myself (well with the brother in law). Ideally I'd put Corey's Pro Mounts on but as the car is completely OEM, may stay as Audi intended.

On the VAgparts website they say you need 2 topmounts per wheel (well that's the implication). Is this correct and what colour, green or blue?

How easy are the top mounts to replace? And any special tools needed? My brother in law is more mechanically minded than me.

Any help be much appreciated, any advice or tips?

Thanks

simon

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articl...nt_replace.htm

Excellent guide. I followed his instructions on my v6 80 and they are rather similar, although I followed the front shock guide as I was replacing the shock inserts as well.

The special tools that Audi says you need is this one for the top nut, it's an 22mm socket that is open about 3/4 the way around so you can put a 7mm allen hex key in it to hold the shock from turning from undoing the top nut. However I did mine with an air tool so I didn't need that.

Only other tool you need is a slotted nut tool. Has a 22mm head with two notches on the bottom that fit onto a round nut. GSF stocks them as well as you can get them on fleabay. This is the nut that holds the top mount in place and spring stop. Once this nut is undone the top mount, spring stop, and spring will lift up. I got lucky and the garage I was working at had a rather large strut kit that included this tool as well. You might be able to improvise but it is not worth it. Just get the tool for a piece of mind.

They don't take too long to do. According to the guide, you can change them without taking the whole strut assembly out, which is nice. You should be able to do both sides in an afternoon if no bolts want to be an issue.

Comment

Hi Simon,

Its only one top mount per axle. They arent too bad to do yourself, with two of you it is possible to do them without compressing the springs but it is awkward. You will also need top mount tool to undo the top mounts and remove them.

2hrs per wheel seems a bit excessive though, front are about 40 mins each rears a little longer because you have to take the rear trim out.

The bushes really depend on how hard it is to get the old ones out and the wishbone bolts
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Also go with green, blue will fit but will wear out quicker.

While you are here you can replace ARB drop links as well if they are in bad condition

The tie rod will need persuasion to come out after you have taken the nut off. If not using air, it will be hard to put the nut back on without the tie rod turning. The ghetto way to do it is put a hollow metal tube, like one from a jack, underneath the tie rod and then slowly downjack the car until there's sufficient pressure on the tie rod so the threads don't turn with the nut.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies guys, didn't think it was rocket science, but just wanted to double check!

Think she maybe going next year, m'lady wants bit more space and climate control, but its what to replace her with? Either S4 or Rs6 Avant.... but my hearts saying nooooooooo!

But that's another story.

Cheers

Simon

Comment

I explained roughly how to change the front top mounts without removing the wheels or the struts here. It's not a difficult job.
            SS

Comment

Originally posted by cuz-gs View Post

Been quoted 2hrs a wheel to replace the top mounts
              I was quoted 1.8 hours a side to replace the shock inserts which were just renewed in March (and between £150-£200 labour!)

Paul
              Trick Pearl White 1992 3B S2 Coupe. Porsche 996 monoblock stopping power! HID Seeing power! Mmmmm Miltek!!!
              Trick Indigo Pearl B5 S4 Recaros, Bose , Mmmm Miltek!!!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cullam3n View Post
                Also go with green, blue will fit but will wear out quicker.

While you are here you can replace ARB drop links as well if they are in bad condition

The tie rod will need persuasion to come out after you have taken the nut off. If not using air, it will be hard to put the nut back on without the tie rod turning. The ghetto way to do it is put a hollow metal tube, like one from a jack, underneath the tie rod and then slowly downjack the car until there's sufficient pressure on the tie rod so the threads don't turn with the nut.

What's the ghetto way to remve the tie rod nut from a turning tie rod.....theres no collar to get a spanner on which is a real PITA Any tips?
                Cheers
                David
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Use an airgun.
                  I've used a puller before, to pust the ball joint tight against the underside of the strut arm. HTH
                  SS

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                    What's the ghetto way to remve the tie rod nut from a turning tie rod.....theres no collar to get a spanner on which is a real PITA Any tips?
                    Cheers
                    David
                    I used a ball joint splitter to push the tie rod out (was on pretty damn tight). Put a nut on top of it loosely so it didn't mushroom the threads. Didn't have a need to be ghetto about it but you can try putting a nut on it loose and giving it a few good wacks with a deadblow.

Comment

Here is the link to the split nut tool http://www.fast-tools.co.uk/acatalog...uspension.html

It is a set made by Laser, part number 3466.

HTH
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic
                      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                        Here is the link to the split nut tool http://www.fast-tools.co.uk/acatalog...uspension.html

It is a set made by Laser, part number 3466.

HTH
                        Holy thread resurrection Batman.....
                        Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                        S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                        '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

We have done a lot better than that recently. I think there was one circa 2003 or 2004 bumped to the top the other day.
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic
                          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I found this topic so I think that is ok to ask here, although last post date is far away. Any tip for top mounts that last longer? Since I have my avant (not S2 nor RS2) for about 40000 km I have changed front suspension top mounts three times, and those I put last seem to be ready for change.

Comment

Stock style top mounts wear our easily, although I've never had any go really bad on me.

Solution is to go for a properly designed solid mount with a bearing that is up to the task. I designed my own but there are a few opions out there now.
                              Cheers'en, AndyC
                              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                              X