Steering racks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering racks?

Apart from the servotronic bit, is there any difference in the 3B and ABY steering racks? I've found that the ABY has a ratio of 14.5:1 but I cant find what the 3B is. I need a new rack on my 3B and I've been offered a 3B and an ABY rack, just wondered if there is any advantage to fitting the ABY?
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

David (s2driveruk) is running an aby one on his 3b so should have a good review of it.

Do you use the servotronic or have you unplugged it? I personally prefer it so plugged it back in.

Comment

I think they are the same, all others 7A and non 20vs have a different ratio, i think they are more like 16.5:1.
      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

yep running and ABY/ADU rack on my 3b and feels great. I hated the servotronic and ran with it disconnected for a good while before replacing the rack. Initial impressions are that the steering weight is on a par with a 3b S/T (disconnected) rack if not slightly heavier which is good for me
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Lol still at least someone prefers it, I tried it for a week or so disconnected and tbh thought that it just was not right and on the plus side with it connected found parking was easier etc.

Comment

parking effort is not that bad with it off but that floaty feel with the servotronic was terrible on mine, sort of numb feeling. Got to say with new ball joints, rod ends, top mounts, drop links and the forged arms, there really is a massive leap in steering 'feel' on my car at the moment
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

If you don't mind when i'm next around i'll have a look and see if that its better than mine, I have noticed with mine that turning right it gets to a point and feels to click then goes fine but this does not bother me much.

Comment

Pete...

Sounds abit like the steering column bearings rather than the rack, just like mine!!!
                Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

or the rack carrier has slightly ovalled bolt holes.....like mine does Need to replace that before my next track day
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
                    I think they are the same, all others 7A and non 20vs have a different ratio, i think they are more like 16.5:1.
                    Can someone (ok expert) confirm if this is true, and what ratio the 7A rack is? Might be worth the mod on my 90?

I'll be checking the Bentley tonite when i get home, but cant remember seeing any ratios.
                    Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X