This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewing Front Hubs

Following my recent tebacle with a local mechanic who failed to do this job despite an alleged 30yrs in the trade... This will help you do the job yourself if you have access to a hydraulic press or you have the right sized drifts, bravery and accuracy with a large hammer. I do NOT recommend the hammer method for new bearing fitment due to the stresses and shock on the caliper carrier lugs.

Here it is in PDF version - which you can print for your own purposes or leave with a workshop that you entrust this task to. I'll happily update this with any notes or further tips that are suggested and validated by this S2 community !

It is absolutely NOT drawn to scale - just a representation of where things are and the order of events. The new bearing MUST be fitted the correct way round.

Cheers,

Paul
    Attached Files
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

And here's the MS-PPT version (inside a zip file) that I threw this together with... If you view it in presentation mode, you will see some useful animations that help along the way.

Paul
    Attached Files
    Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Nice work again Paul
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Here's a pic I took to show you not to make the same mistake I did. Notice how one side has a inner lip and one wasn't. The side with the flared lip goes toward the car.

Comment

More importantly there are TWO internal dimensions on the bearings... As shown on my drawings. The larger internal diameter on the bearing goes to the outside where it engages with the hub.

It would be very easy to get that wrong when pressing in a new bearing. Be sure to advise anyone you give this job to be aware of the correct orientation of the bearing as correcting the mistake is probably going to destroy the bearing and require a new one.

Paul

PS - The SKF part number for the front bearing is BAH-0011 AB - you might be able to get those cheaper/faster from a local motor factor when in desperate need. The Audi part number is 893 498 624E for reference.
          Paul Nugent

Comment

Oh and the correct torque on the hub bolt is 200Nm plus 90 degrees. This needs to be done with the vehicle on the ground.

While I remember, its worth noting the Audi part comes as a kit with a new nyloc nuts for the top strut mount, the track-rod end and the bottom balljoint (with a new bolt also).

Paul
            Paul Nugent

Comment

I've tidied the thread up and added a redirect so its all in one thread
              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

IMO in the fig. 5 where the hub is pressed to the bearing, the inner sleeve of the bearing should be supported instead of the carrier. If you don't support the inner sleeve(s), there is a risk that the bearing balls dig into the outer sleeve, making marks to the bearing surface -> the bearing life is considerably shortened.

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                  It would be very easy to get that wrong when pressing in a new bearing. Be sure to advise anyone you give this job to be aware of the correct orientation of the bearing as correcting the mistake is probably going to destroy the bearing and require a new one.
                  Yep BTDT, it does damage the bearing pressing it back out again. I had to run with it for a few weeks until i got a replacement, was noisy as hell.
                  91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                  93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                  94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

I have found a good way of doing them in situ with the kit i designed in a post a while ago HERE and a bit of kit hireable from most tool shops. My kits use a screwed rod (M20) which requires 30mm sockets and spanners. Most people dont have these size spanners lying around and an adjustable spanner (Nut Phlucker) is not reccomended. The easiest by far is to use a hollow enerpac, these negate the need for spanners as the nuts are spun on by hand and jack does most of the work.
                    Attached Files
                    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Great write-up (as ever!) Paul

Is the method basically the same for the rear hubs? (which have a different part no.)
                      Past: S2 ABY coupe RS2 spec with lots of mods, S4 B5 saloon, RS6 C5 saloon, S8 D2 FL, RS4 B7 saloon, S4 B6 avant

Present: S4 B8 avant, MRC Stage 2

Comment

Originally posted by CliveH View Post
                        Great write-up (as ever!) Paul

Is the method basically the same for the rear hubs? (which have a different part no.)
                        The bearings are the same for all four corners. If you reuse the hardware you can just buy the bearing and not the "kit". The hardware (i.e. axle bolt/nut, washer, etc) causes the part number to differ front to rear.

BTW, most Audis take the same bearing 82mm (double bearing), but the fiche will list a different number from model to model. Again, this is due to the hardware that is included. The urS4/S6, S2, RS2, late urq, etc all use the same 82mm bearing.

Comment

Thanks Tom
                          Past: S2 ABY coupe RS2 spec with lots of mods, S4 B5 saloon, RS6 C5 saloon, S8 D2 FL, RS4 B7 saloon, S4 B6 avant

Present: S4 B8 avant, MRC Stage 2

Comment

The rear bearing is smaller and does not have the step, on the coupe anyways.
                            Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                              The rear bearing is smaller and does not have the step, on the coupe anyways.
                              Yup, rear bearings on the S2 Coupe are 75mm
                              2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                              2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                              1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Working...
                              X