Steering rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack

Right , turns out that my steering rack is leaking A relative,who owns a power steering business,said if drop him over the rack he will rebuild it for me, Gratis The question is how much of a PITA is it to get the rack out?

Mine leaks too. A company called Powersteering Services in Greenwich quoted me about £360 to fit a replacement rack, that was including parts and labour (not inc VAT of course).

I think it is a PITA to get the rack out and back in again. Who is your relative working for, would they do mine as well?!!
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

He's my cousin, He is also based in Greenwich. His company is Power Steering Specailists He used to work for the other company about 15 years ago before he set up his own garage He is really busy at work and could not get the car in for a few weeks, but to rebuild the rack only takes a few hours.....BTW sorry about the plug

Comment

Seems like all of London's power steering expertise is in Greenwich? Lol!

Would he do my rack as well?

Comment

Dean,

if you want a brand new Audi rack, I have one in my stash of parts you can have for a very reasonable price! brand new OE Audi rack new in its box still!

Martyn
          Martyn
          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

I've started to experience the classic groaning sound from my PAS, so I may need some advice!

Wondering if it may just be fluid levels / air in system? Easy-ish fix?! What about the pump? Thinking that it's not tucked away too much.

Finally, seeing as the rack is way back on the bulkhead, can the knowledgable folk tell me if it can be removed and refitted without removing most of the lump?!!

I think I need to get this Servotronic thing unplugged too, seeing as I also have that way-too-light steering feel!

__MDC__
            Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper of The Kitten
              I've started to experience the classic groaning sound from my PAS, so I may need some advice!

Wondering if it may just be fluid levels / air in system? Easy-ish fix?! What about the pump? Thinking that it's not tucked away too much.

Finally, seeing as the rack is way back on the bulkhead, can the knowledgable folk tell me if it can be removed and refitted without removing most of the lump?!!

I think I need to get this Servotronic thing unplugged too, seeing as I also have that way-too-light steering feel!

__MDC__
              Groans from the steering rack are usually caused by low fluid level. Fill the system and turn the steering from lock to lock a few times. If it's just low fluid level, you should notice a drop in the resevoir level and a load of bubbles in the fluid. Fill it to the correct level once the noise has gone.

The rack can be removed with the engine and box in the car. However, it may be a good job to pay someone else to do

The Servotronic assistance can be switched off by unplugging the Servotronic relay under the rear seat. Just pull the plug to the box marked 'Servotronic' and your back to normal steering.
              91 Modded 3B
              14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Cheers Steve, the fluid level will be checked asap.

I've read all about the Servotronic mod a few times, so I think I know what to look for now - it says Servotronic on the box, right??!!! I'll give my impressions when I have done it, but I am sure they will be favourable! My old 80 had nicely weighted PAS.

__MDC__
                Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

@KOTK Do the servotronic mod, you'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier! My impressions of it are posted in a previous thread.

Make sure you get the proper Audi PAS fluid, the wrong sort can **** your entire system.

@Martin - how much for that rack?

@Jubjub - how much would your cousin charge for a rack re-fit?! I wonder if there are enough S2 owners with tired racks for a "Group buy re-rack"?

Comment

My rack leaks too. But im not doing it until the engine is out later in the year. It looks a minging job to do. Has anyone changed one? I have done an normal Audi 80 TD PAS rack and that was a right *** ache job. Access was very tight on that. dont fancy doing mine with engine in situ
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I noticed my rack is leaking too. I spotted it while putting the engine back in, but was too skint to think about changing it at the time.
                      I can see a little bit of gummed up fluid on the underside of the rubber bellows, but that's it. It could stay like that for some time before needing to be replaced. That is, unless Mr MOT man spots it
                      91 Modded 3B

Comment

Mr.MOT man wont see it if the bellows are washed off before the MOT!!
                        Mine is leaking from the little servotronic thing, what a crap invention that was. I have mine unplugged and love the steering feel. Nice and heavy, can actually tell what the front tyres are doing
                        sigpic
                        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                        Audi UR Quattro
                        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Tom...I'll be down at your garage tomorrow with Mark H. Any chance of a quick MOT while I'm there?
                          91 Modded 3B

Comment

Working...
                          X