X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front top strut bushes ?

Hi lads...
    As you know im the S2 Newbie...

first time im having problems with my suspension...

When i turn the steering wheel i get a creek about half way lock...

Ive took it to a mechanic who just by listening said it will be the top rubber bits on the suspension, i think he descibed it as "front suspension struts".. but not too sure.. the rubber bits on the top of the suspension..

Does this sound about right? its not he power steering as ive just had it recon'ed.. and not the steering rack as he took a quick look and said it aint.. ive got trust in this mechanic as he seems knolegable..

if i just need the rubber bits, anything else worth changing while im there? any performnce rubber i can add in there to increase handling or what have u ?

Im more than happy with my suspension as it is, just dont like the creek, im not after any adjustable konis hee hee.. not even started powerslide'ing this monster yet (pleae no abuse, i promise i will master the art of drift )

Any recommendations for alternative performance parts?

Im so glad i never sold the s2
    ABY Coupe
    sigpic

Ski, I know it's the time of year to lose weight but your wallet isn't one of them!

Please see:
    http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3029

David

Comment

Sure you haven't just got some air in the p/s system? Mine used to groan and creek. As far as i can remember (please anyone shout to confirm) that you can effectievly bleed the system by holding the steering at full lock left and right allowing the pressure to build up.

I can usually tell when my top mounts need replacing becuase the front suspension feels 'loose' and you get thumps going over a speed bump or turning into a driveway. I have a similarly loose feeling now that the drivers side ball joint is fooked, again when going over bumps etc.

Glad to see you have found a way to keep her, she looked lovely!!!!

Cheers,

David
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Now u mention it i feel bumps when turning into driveways over slight bumbs, i put it down to bushes as they go like hotcakes.

is it top mounts i need? what are these UR quattro top mounts i hear about? any good?
        ABY Coupe
        sigpic

Comment

ps powersteering was bled by doing the ful lock as described.
          ABY Coupe
          sigpic

Comment

well....i changed mine to blue (URQ) ones from the std greens and side by side, the blues are slightly thinner and i felt less rigid than the greens - but apparently the blues are heavier duty.....go figure!

Could be a combination of bushes and top mounts, as you say they get a fair bit of abuse and they do go 'off' pretty quickly on mine too.

HTH

David
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

So the standard green supposed to last longer huh?

u can get poly bushes, can u get poly stop mounts?
              ABY Coupe
              sigpic

Comment

@ski

You haven't had your tracking done have you? My steering was deadly quiet but after having the tracking done it squeaks at low speeds (in car parks etc).

I've just bought some blue top mounts (from a fellow S2 forum user) so I'll see what happens when I get round to fitting them.
                Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

no tracking LPHUK2002. The noise is coming from suspension, and vibrates through my steering wheel. If i full lock it, it will .. not squeek, but creek about 5% of the full lock.

Keep us updated on the blue mounts, interested to see what performance difference it makes.
                  ABY Coupe
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X