Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connecting link,blue bump stop?, suspensions questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting link,blue bump stop?, suspensions questions...

hi guys.

I started to tackle the suspension, I shouldn't be touching it yet cause I have enough other stuff to do, but it's nice to be prepared.

So here are my questions:

My connecting links for the sway bar are shot, there is no lube what so ever in the booties. Just alot of dust.

I found part# 8a0407465 Is this the best replacement for this part?
    Rs2's part #s are 8a0407465c

I heard a rumor that audi makes these in plastic now and is better? is this true?

Next: Blue strut mounts? URq

Is this the part #?

8a0 407 465

Sport quattro?

8a0 407 465 C?

Thanks
    Josh
    I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Originally posted by Josh-stateside
    My connecting links for the sway bar are shot, there is no lube what so ever in the booties. Just alot of dust.

I found part# 8a0407465 Is this the best replacement for this part?
    Rs2's part #s are 8a0407465c

I heard a rumor that audi makes these in plastic now and is better? is this true?
    Josh
    Josh the S2 parts now have plastic joints ( not that I've seen them) the RS2 are still steel.

Can't help with anything else I'm afraid.
    HTH
    David

Comment

RS2 ARB droplinks are still steel.

Part number is: 8A0 407 465 C retail is £26.32 + VAT each

As for top mounts there are the standard green ones and the 'uprated' blue ones. There is some discussion as to just how uprated they are. I killed a set in six months and to look at they don't seem much stiffer.

Green Part number is: 8A0 412 323 D retail price is £17.50 + VAT each

Blue Part number is: 857 412 323 B retail price is £25.43 + VAT each

These are main stealer prices and VAGParts will undoubtedly be cheaper. (there you go Martyn, never thought you'd here a main stealer recomend the competition )

HTH

Ben
      the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
      1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Thanks guys for the info.

To deepen the ****e pile.. I worked on the driver side suspension today. I have a plastic connector link on this side. So at least I know either one fits.
        Lots of messed up bushing too. I have some choices to make to say the least.
        Thinking some sand blasting and powdercoating is going to be added to the list.

The previous owner installed coilovers on the coupe and the spring seats were on a wrong setting. The list of things that dumb people do.. If I had one.. It would be endless. However I won't be too egotistical. I have added my own stupidity files to the list. Not to mention though the previous owner never left me any of tools, and he's miles away from me, and I can't get in contact with him. Luckly channel locks are working for now.

I must of removed 2 pounds of dirt from the wheel wells, I can actually see pearl white now. I am thinking this is going to take .000000000000000000001 secs off my quarter mile time. Some people remove interiors for weight reductions, I remove dirt.
        I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

Josh, I have new steel link rods.....

and the uprated Blues (thanks Martyn!) on my Coupe and they are devine. I'm riding on a Bilstein/Intrax combo and the ride is great. When I had Greens
          it always felt loose or un-even and that's with everything new in the suspension. I'd stay with the steel rods and get the Blues. My 2cents.

Comment

now I understand why the blue's are better:

P.S. My driver side plastic connector link is fine.. so I am going to match the passengerside with a plastic connector too.

As a fellow entusiast said it might reduce upsprung weight
            Not really but good to think in your mind that your modding it.

Edit?

is that the blue one?

or is this it:

I am confused, Edit: nevermind... they are the same.
            Last edited by Josh-stateside; 28 April 2004, 08:30.

Comment

Josh,

I only want to change my springs. Since you are in there, maybe you can clarify.

Do I need to remove the slotted 14 mm nut that sits on top of this blue piece in order to get my springs off?

BTW, you have mail.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_S2
                Josh,

I only want to change my springs. Since you are in there, maybe you can clarify.

Do I need to remove the slotted 14 mm nut that sits on top of this blue piece in order to get my springs off?

BTW, you have mail.
                Yes.. Vw tool

will take care of that, and an open o2 sensor socket will allow you to stick and allen key into the strut to lock it so you can loosen it and retighten it. However I have to have an impact wrench and that works well for loosening it, you can tighten that way too but I don't recomment it, possibly could over torque it.

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articl...nt_replace.htm

There is a nic article here which will help you along. Just becareful and make sure you properly compress the springs..

You also will need a 3 or 2 jaw puller to get the tie rod off. All most forgot to mention. I got my at autozone here in the states for $20.00

Cheers
                josh

Comment

Thanks Josh. I see the picture now.

Comment

Working...
                  X