This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2/RS2 Spring Info

Had call to dig up some part information across the various springs used on S2 & RS2 variants. Here goes for Coupe, Limo & Avant. Note the colour dots on the springs to help visually identify them.

Front - ALL S2 variants and RS2 Avant (B3/B4/P1)

Without Aircon - 895 411 105
    2 x orange
    1 x blue
    1 x white
    Rating unknown

WITH Aircon - 895 411 105A - this is stiffest factory front spring for S2/RS2
    2 x orange
    2 x blue
    1 x white
    Rated at 210lbs/inch (or 37N/mm)

Rear - S2 Coupe - 3B or ABY

895 511 115
    2 x silver
    1 x orange
    Rating unknown

Rear - S2 and RS2 Avant (B4/P1)

8A0 511 115 CQ
    2 x silver
    3 x orange
    Rated at 300lb/inch (or 52N/mm)

Rear - S2 Limo (B4)

8A0 511 115 CR
    2 x silver
    1 x orange
    Rating unknown

NOTE the paint markings on rear springs of S2 Limo and S2 Coupe are the same. They are NOT interchangeable as the rear suspension topology is different on B3 vs B4. However, the paint blobs might hint that the spring rating is the same.

More spring rate information to follow when it comes along. For comparison purposes the rating of springs supplied by KW in their coilover kits is 70N/mm (400lb/inch). I believe that 90N/mm versions are also availble on request.

Rating of HR springs for S2/RS2 is unknown at this time.

To convert springs ratings from Newtons/mm to pounds-force/inch simply multiply the N/mm figure by 5.715 - this is a short cut for (25.4 x 2.205)/9.8.
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Paul,as far as the avant springs,what is the difference in colour markins as according to what you have written they have the same markings there!!??

Comment

Whats the weight distribution of an S2 Avant?

Sorry, not really on topic I know but just curious.

Comment

around 60/40 if i remember correctly

Comment

I just found the thread I was trying to look for with the hillclimbing avant. The guy had corner scales and it came out at 56% front.

The only reason I ask is that the rears seem VERY stiff compared to the front, but I suppose it is an estate. Ignore me. As you were...

Comment

They do seem stiff, but let's not forget they are spec'd for load carrying too...
            RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Edited front without aircon - correct now - different markings from aircon spring.
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

If anyone knows the

ratings of the "normal" lowered H & R Avant Springs, please post same.

Additionally if anyone knows of the other missing springs rates, please post?

Thanks Paul.

Comment

what do you mean 'normal' HR springs? There are 2 types of HR springs. S2 avant and RS2 avant.

Comment

Apologies,

didn't realise the S2 and RS2 were different.

How does one recognise which is which?

What is the difference in the specification of the two sets of springs, vis-à-vis the the stiffness of the springs and also the amount it lowers the car?

Is there a company that does a lowered spring kit for an S2/RS2 that is less up-rated than normal to allow one to still lower the car, but not loose as much comfort as is normally the case when one lowers any car?

Thanks!

Comment

Hmm...that is what im trying to do actually.Look at the thread: spring modification.
                      Im expecting to get back my springs next week lowered by 15mm.They told me that they wont increase the stiffness but i asked clarification and details.hope to receive an answer today.Maybe it is not needed for such a small lowering difference.I dont know.Im not the expert!

Comment

Agreed,

seen that thread. Am keen to see how you get on.

Thanks.

Comment

H&R won't release spring rates to the customer, too much competition in the market. It's not in their interests.

Be interesting to see if any other sites have tested the springs and come up with the rates.

Comment

I did a thread a while ago, front springs on the rear (coupe), for a coupe. I measured the coupe AC front and rear springs and the rears measured about 5% stiffer based on the helix. The rear springs are also shorter, not sure what effect the length of the spring has on the spring rate.

RS2s all have the AC spec front springs.

Originally posted by Me
                            I've done a bit of measuring and have come up with the following numbers:-

Front
                            D = Outside Diameter = 139mm
                            d = Wire Diameter = 14.1mm

Rear
                            D = Outside Diameter = 145mm
                            d = Wire Diameter = 14.7mm

Now then, here's the science bit as I see it,

Assumptions:-
                            The OEM springs are not variable rate
                            The OEM springs are made from the same material
                            Both front and rear springs have equal numbers of coils (I've counted them and this is true).
                            The spring rate of a helical spring is proportional to d^4/D^3 using the assumptions above and that they have the same number of the coils. Using this formula, the rear springs have a spring constant approximately 4% stiffer than the fronts!
                            Cheers'en, AndyC
                            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

the advant uses stiffer rear springs because of the suspension design, the amount of force acting on the wheel is not the same as that acting on the spring. normally macpherson strut is close to what really happens at the i think, but the rear advant the spring acts onto a wishbone and the mounting is set back from the outer joint isnt it.

Comment

Working...
                              X