Major shimmy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major shimmy

I've just got a new problem! You get one thing fixed and another pops up its head!!!!

I've noticed over the last week or so that my car felt a little looser than normal. Nothing too scary, but just not quite right.

Then last night I took a sharp left corner quite fast and almost had the steering wheel yanked out of my hand! :eek2:

It felt as though I was driving over a pot hole repeatedly with the wheel pulling even tighter and then releasing and then pulling again. All repeating at about 3 times a second for 2 or 3 seconds! It was enough to make me crap myself and toodle on home at 40mph!

The problem is only on sharp left turns. Straights and right turns are fine. Even gentle lefts are OK.

I've taken both front wheels off but could see nothing wrong. There is no excessive movement in either wheel.
    A guy at work has suggested that it might be either wheel bearings or a loose tie rod. Surprisingly enough, I had new tie rods fitted not that long ago by Audi when they were doing the tracking.

Has anyone else had anything similar to this happen? Is there an easy way for a non techo like myself to check the tie rods?

Thanks in advance
    ex '93 Avant owner

Sid,

Man, I have no idea at al. but, can I please suggest that you DON'T drive it until you have a better idea!!!!
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Nasty - The only thing I have had similar were loose wheels nuts but it wasn't as violent as your experience.

If the tracking has not been done properly it could be that you can steer too far to the left and the wheel(either one) starts rubbing/catching on something.
      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Hi,

If you have the entire rod replaced, check the bolts on the rack carrier - its a nightmare to get at in a 3b but I had one rod with a loose bolt last year which made the steering very squirrely to say the least, also found the steering damper was loose - some thicko had replaced the bolts with non nyloc ones so that was a nightmare waiting to happen.

If you have an ABY you should be able to see the carrier plate with the two rods bolted to it but on a 3B you need to shine a torch between the flame retarder on the crankcase breather hose and the abs pump then you should see it.

Just a thought....

Cheers,

David
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I've checked the rods where they attached to the carrier as best I can. Its easy enough to check one side, but its a bit tight getting to the other.

The car is drivable at the moment, but I just can't put the foot down.

I'm going to see someone tonight who might be able to shed some light on the matter.

I'll keep you all informed.
          ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

I'm officially a happy camper again!!!

Fitted new front shocks (Audi original) on Sunday morning and I can drive like a nutter again!

I got them from my local dealer on Friday night and got them fitted by a friendly chap at Kwik Fit for only £30! Money in the back pocket I expect, but then I'm not complaining. Audi wanted £160 to fit them! :eek2:

Car now handles as it should. Not only that, the wheels don't rub inside the arches whenever I hit a bump under braking!

The ride quality is still excellent, so overall I'm well chuffed!
            ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Good to hear that - sounds like the shocks were well gone.
              S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Working...
              X