This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B4 quattro rear wishbone

What follows is a quick 'how to' guide for removing these. Hopefully it helps someone else along the way.

In principle this job is pretty straight-forward but with 17yrs of road grime an crusty bolts you need to be prepared for a bit of a fight... Using the attached PDF as a reference to which bolts - I didnt bother with photos so far.

Prior to doing this job I had been judiciously spraying WD40 at all the bolts I could see for a few days. Glad I did... You cannot remove the upper wishbone in-site - the whole rear strut/damper & spring assembly has to be removed.

1. Jack up the rear and onto stands... Best tip here is to NOT use a stand under the lower wishbone mounting point as this restricts you later - I found that out the hard way. Use the rear subframe mount for your axle stand(s).

2. Buzz of the wheel nuts

3. Remove bolt #18 where the upper wishbone meets the control arm.

4. Remove bolt #16 where the bottom of damper attaches to lower wishbone. I had lots of corrosion here, but got lucky with good tigh sockets and a swing bar.

5. Remove 4 x bolts #13 that secure the strut assembly to the body... I used a buzz gun for this - and it was good.

6. Now leveraging down on the lower wishbone and with a pry bar you can tease the damper out of its tight location. Continue to pivot the whole assembly down towards the centre of the car... Until you have enough clearance to remove the whole thing from the wheel arch.

7. WIth the assembly on the floor or bench you can attack the bolt #17 that connects the upper wishbone to the strut. I found these to be stupidly tight and crusty... Also - the nuts and bolts had squeezed into the rubber bush giving very little metal to grip on. I had to cut out some rubber before I could just hammer on a 17 or 18mm socket. A big swing bar and some controlled agression had them off without too much stress.

That was all plain saling until my parts shipment arrived... Our Ben @ Coventry TPS did a great job as ever, but I soon realised that I had a massive brain fahrt when ordering new wishbones (couldnt be bovvered to fight with bush removal). I also forgot the big new bolts

So here is the scoop - if you have the earliest B4Q setup with cast wishbones - before 8C-P-250 000 then you need TWO of 8A0 505 323A and TWO of N102 194 01 bolts.

If you have the later setup with a pressed upper wishbone (from 8C-P-250 001 onwards) then these are sided parts which are in common with B5 - 8D0 505 323B and 324B. These need a MUCH longer bolt N 102 655 01 on each side.

Make sure and renew bolts #13, #16 and #18... And also get 3-off nuts #15 for each side. Also don't forget that washer #19 as it looks pretty gnarly after big mileage.

I'm going to fit these pressed one onto my B4Q sedan and get the Powerflex bushes into the cast bones when they come available.

Chance of me getting thru an MOT this week look slim now - but its my own stupid fault for leaving this too close to the wire. Oh well.

Cheers,

Paul
    Attached Files
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

How did you get the handbrake cable out of the lower 'bones?
    Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

Didnt have to... probably cos my calipers are already hanging free for disc renewal... Does the handbrake and/or brake lines stop you levering down on the lower 'bones to get the necessary clearance to remove the strut ?
      Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Tip, slack off the bolts for the upper a-arm and shock mount while its still in the car, makes it easier to hold

On the poly mounts, as you found the cast a-arm uses a shorter bolt (180mm i think). You could modify the Poly mounts to fit if but you will need to use the longer bolts from a pressed a-arm.
        91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
        93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
        94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by Flat on my back View Post
          How did you get the handbrake cable out of the lower 'bones?
          They unclip and slide towards the rear of the car. i.e. You have to start from the handbrake lever and remove them completely.

Comment

How tired is this bush ?

Rear upper wishbone - inner bush towards the front... sounds horrid on any bumps.
            Attached Files
            Paul Nugent

Comment

Yep that looks a little soft

Comment

Obviously when you bought the car you lifted each corner and checked the play at the wheels...didn't you?

Surprised one ov 'em wheels just didn't fall orf when yus was driving along...
                Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

The noise was obvious from the outset - I bought it knowing full well there was a knock at the back end... Figured it was a RARB drop link bush actually Took longer to pinpoint to this bush though - it drove surprisingly well - only when you hit the bumpies do you realise something was amiss.
                  Paul Nugent

Comment

Hi guys,

Just purchased the full Powerflex bush kit for the back end of the avant to fit by the weekend hopefully (the tracking has gone on the passengers side and trashed a tyre in 500 miles). So the only bit I need now is the bush/s that go from the lower wishbone to the hub assembly. ou e the best place to get em or are they dealer only???? Cheers

Aza
                    Dark Grey Avant
                    RS2 FARB
                    Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
                    Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

Working...
                    X