Suspension questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension questions.

OK - its time I did something about my suspension. I can get tyres rubbing on 3 of the 4 wheel arches at almost any speed, just by hitting the brakes or turning sharply. I think I'm going to renew everything.
    BUT - I don't want a ride that is so harsh that I'll need a back brace after driving to work.

I'm going to replace both ARBs for RS2 ones.

I would like to replace the rear shocks and both front and rear springs, but I want to retain the standard ride height (too many speed bumps round my way). Whats wrong with RS2 gear again rather than Koni etc

Everyone seems to rave about Powerflex bushes, but is there anything wrong with replacing all the bushes with the original Audi ones?

I don't want a car that'll out-turn a Scooby or an Evo. I want comfortable cruising and also the ability to go round a roundabout without my tyres rubbing against the wheel arches.

Any comments?
    ex '93 Avant owner

When ive been out in Greg's car, his has the lowered stuff, the RS2 front ARB and whiteline rear, along with poly bushes and i didnt think the ride was harsh at all!!

The original feel of the car is very lazy as it wallows around the roads, the above stuff just tightens it all up in my opinion and doesnt ruin the feel or make it too rough at all... but then im 23 and had cars that handled like go-carts and very stiff suspension before.... Just dont rule out all that.

Also, from when ive looked before the genuine stuff is around the same price (or more expensive) than the lowered shocks / springs etc.
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

I've got ajustable konis with standard springs and RS2 ARBs. Almost totally flat when cornering and the ARBs got rid of almost all the understeer. Not too harsh over the bumps and sits at the standard ride height.
      Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Sounds like you have the wrong offsets and/or too wide tyres Kenny if the rub all the time - what are the offsets and tyre sizes?
        S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
          Sounds like you have the wrong offsets and/or too wide tyres Kenny if the rub all the time - what are the offsets and tyre sizes?
          worn wheel bearings can cause poor wheel location as well.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
            They've only started rubbing since I replaced all four about 6 weeks ago. Previously they were fine, with no fouling at all.
            The tyres are 235/40/18, but I'm not too sure what offset the wheel is. I can't find any info on the wheel itself. I'll try and dig out the original invoice and see if there's anything on that.
            ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

235 is very tight on the back of avants - Lee has that on the backs of his and I think it will always rub going over bumps if you have a lot of weight in the back (like me). e front shouldn't rub unless you have some positve camber or the offset is not correct.

An indication to your offset is to see how big a gap you have between your tyre andsteering arm. I have approx 4mm with the front offset at ET40 and 235 wide tyres.
              S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

There should be an ET legend followed by 2 digits on the wheels indicating the offset.
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
                  There should be an ET legend followed by 2 digits on the wheels indicating the offset.
                  Thats what I thought, but I can't find it. They're genuine BBS alloys. They do have BBS and 18x8J marked on them, but I can't find the offset. When I bought them, I just asked for alloys for an Audi S2. I didn't ask for a particular offset. The place that I bought them from has since shut down, so I can't go back there.
                  ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Working...
                  X