No announcement yet.

Projekt Kastor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My gut feeling is around 4° total will yield a substantial improvement and not be too much of a compriomise, this is roughly what the modern front engined 4wd mahcines i.e. evo have evolved to run with
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Cheers John, seems that a sensible approach should see some worthwhile results here, I'm OK for excess grip but I can imagine that something like yours is starting to reach the limits of road tyres under hard acceleration and cornering. That said the machpherson design does need a little helping hand when heavily compressed, be nice to cure that understeer on yours that we experienced at Combe.

Alex, thanks for the mail, had another helping hand from KotK too, a few ideas to look at.

Hopefully 3D model of the top mount tomorrow for fun, then get on with ideas for the subframe mounts and a catch tank project.

I discounted the ball joint idea on many counts but a different ball joint design would definitely change that, it's the easiest to implement but causes wheel position headaches and I have concerns over the ball joint angle being reversed.
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Reading what Newsh said, I can certainly see the issue with possibly inducing more dive ...there is potential to counteract it with some geometry change to the wishbone hard points, notably raking the wishbone points in side view so the rear point is higher than the front. Might be something else where the subframe bushes can come into play?
        Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

Thinking about this indicates to me that pure breaking transfer to the strut is a function of the sine of castor angle, thus doubling castor will double the effect at the angles were talking about (small angle theory).

Some fag packet calculations for a 1500kg car decelerating at 1g with 80% front brake effort and 4deg castor indicate an 80kg effort on the front axle, seems quite a small portion to me. Weight transfer will be the same as before. In terms of the overall front axle load under braking I would have thought this is minimal and that's for an increased level. Will have more of a think tomorrow but it strikes me as a small change rather than a big one. Worth checking out tho!
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I agree with Mr. Cutting, anti dive geometry would be wise for the B3/B4 front.
            But be carefull, altering this means you'll end up with an non linear steering response
            For Scooby drivers there are multiple upgrades on the market to reduce anti-dive/lift (lowering the 'rear' mounting point) for the OEM WRX-es to give more steering response and grip on corner exit!

Comment

Can just make one bush thicker than the other, simple enough to do but it'll affect other aspects for sure
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Alternatively make a complete new subframe
                Martin Cutting

Comment

See, if the inboard points are bolted vertically and using proper spherical bearings, then it becomes possible to adjust by varying the thickness of the top hat above and below the bearing, within the limits of the clevis.
                  Martin Cutting

Comment

I think we're getting carried away here

For the moment I'm happy enough to look at top mounts and subframe bushes. If a lower balljoint solution then the castor increase will be large enough to cause concern.

The other thing is that a custom set of lower arms would probably cost about the same as the two offset parts.
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I think we're getting carried away here

For the moment I'm happy enough to look at top mounts and subframe bushes. If a lower balljoint solution then the castor increase will be large enough to cause concern.

The other thing is that a custom set of lower arms would probably cost about the same as the two offset parts.
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Think of that the more you move the front strut backwards (up at the topmount) the more you move the wheel backwards in the arch.

But, these small adjustments wouldnt affect much i think..

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

The clearance on my stock car is about 45mm front and rear, that's with a 225/45R17 tyre. At a guess, I'd have thought that I could accomodate up to 25mm wheel forward, the ball joint reversing strategy would be a bit more involved, one option is to space the bumper 10mm+ (would look strange but work) and there's the possibility of the front of the arch fouling...

With the mods I've proposed the wheel will hardly move, the top mounts move teh strut top back 7.5mm and I'd hope that the subframe bushes would move the subframe forwards betwee 10 and 15mm so the wheel will creep less than 10mm forwards.
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

If your rough calcs are right Andy, 7.5mm gain at the topmount and 10mm gain at the subframe that should give 4deg castor overall (2° 15' stock + 1° subframe bushes + 0°45' offset topmounts) - ideal!
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

That's the plan anyway...
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

What are you actually trying to achieve by changing the castor Orificer Rusty?

If it is just improved cornering through the effect that positive castor has on negative camber, then would adding a little more negative camber to start with mean that less castor is required? I know there is much less scope to do this on 4wd cars before you loose traction, but surely someone has looked at this?

We all know that road cars are designed to ultimately understeer as it is considered safer for the average driver. They do this by adding positive camber as the suspension deflects and thus reducing the front end grip.

It therefore seems to me that the ultimate goal should be to redesign the front geometry to reduce this increase in positive camber (I know I Know it is a black art, but we have enough designers on the forum). I had always assumed that this could be done by changing the ratio between the length of the upper and lower wishbones but I expect the experts to now jump in and tell me it is impossible on our cars.

If it was possible, it would then mean that only smaller castor and camber changes would be required to allow us to tune the handling to suit our own driving styles.

Cheers n

Si
                                95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
                                Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
                                With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Working...
                                X