Rear tie rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear tie rods

Is there any good after market items availiable? mine are bad and im not paying dealer prices!

I still have some delrin bushes in stock for the inner coupe rear tie rods £28-50 a pair delivered.

designed and tested by error404 (alex)

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Would be good if an alternative source of the balljoint could be found. Add that to these delrin bushes and we should have a better/cheaper uprated part. Dealer prices on them are horrendous.
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I would be interested in a pair of new balljoints if someone finds a good source that cheaper then the dealer.
        91 S2 coupé - RIP
        98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Kev pm sent

Comment

I'll have a look at the front and rear tie rods that I have here, see what can be done.
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Unfortunately the front steering ball joints are too small to be used at the rear. They're short by 5mm and so the taper is too small. How typical!

You could use a rose-jointed effort but they can be a problem duew to poor protection.

The rear tie rod also has a strange bend in it, I can only assume it's for clearance but without a closer look I can't be sure.
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I've designed a set for my mk1 golf project (very easily adaptable to use on any quattro). A rosejoint affair doesnt need to be expensive, but durability is the key without going overkill. The taper situation is easily overcome and can be adapted simply enough. Reverse engineer it.

You can buy protective boot for rosejoint too Andy. Whilst not 100% sealing they offer considerable advantages over a stock balljoint/tierod.
                Jay - pug_life85@hotmail.com

1986 Audi UR quattro - WORK IN PROGRESS
                1981 VW Mk1 Golf - "20v Jim, but not as we know it!"

Comment

Looks like 034 sell them http://www.034motorsport.com/product...roducts_id=717

Anyone had experience with these? looks like quite a simple design.

Comment

$330 for those.

I was looking at using some OE style rod ends and the poly bushes off Kev with a threaded, bent bar in the middle. Should be a little cheaper but I can't find a list of rod ends to get teh right size from...
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I seem to recall the taper is same as a 100 front joint, however it should be a standard metric taper of some size so has be ball joint out there would work.

I always thought the crank in it was so if the wheel is hopped of a curb the rod wont bend rather itll spring back to original shape and also soften the impact of the bracket on the subframe

Comment

Not from a quick look on the family album. The 100 BJ is M12 thread and the rear CQ item is M10.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Forgive my lack of technical knowledge but i bought the rear track end adjusters for my urS4 from Custom Auto Craft in Luxembourg.
                          May i recommend giving Pete at Stirling Audi a call, insanely helpful for sorucing parts and good discount too.

Comment

Kev's delrin bushes are a really good upgrade for knackered bushes. My rear tie rods were original when I refurbed them - boots were a bit tired but the ball joints themselves were fine - the OEM ones seem to last well.

on the type 89 coupe the rear tie rod is curved for a reason - under compression a straight rod will contact the passenger side chassis in a big way.
                            An aftermarket arm would need to be the same shape - wouldn't be that hard to design & build something tubular and i'm sure a pair would retail for under £100.

Mr Rusty I have a rear rod i can donate to research if K24R fancies a look........
                            Last edited by Error404; 29 April 2010, 17:21.
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Where did you get the boots from Mr Error? (might be able to salvage one if I can free it off)
                              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                              X