Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasty Loud Humming Noise!

Hi all,

On driving home last night a nasty (and very loud) humming noise reared its ugly head... Worst around 40mph and 60mph for some reason. Noise is there when going staight and going left but goes when I turn right????

Does anyone have any ideas? PAS is on its way out anyway.... does anyone think it's related? Alternatively I suppose it could be my wheel bearings (or worn cv joint?)

Yesterdays service seems to have improved the feel of the engine no end (thanks Simon), but the new noise is EXTREMELY ANNOYING and a little worrying!

Any opinions appreciated.

Cheers

Originally posted by SHEEPISH-S2
    Hi all,

On driving home last night a nasty (and very loud) humming noise reared its ugly head... Worst around 40mph and 60mph for some reason. Noise is there when going staight and going left but goes when I turn right????

Does anyone have any ideas? PAS is on its way out anyway.... does anyone think it's related? Alternatively I suppose it could be my wheel bearings (or worn cv joint?)

Yesterdays service seems to have improved the feel of the engine no end (thanks Simon), but the new noise is EXTREMELY ANNOYING and a little worrying!

Any opinions appreciated.

Cheers
    Highly likely that it is a Wheel Bearing, as I've experienced that scenario many times and it's always turned out to be that. They tend to last anything from 50-70k miles depending on how the car is driven on the bendy stuff.

My own S2 has started to rumble a bit on the front in the last week, so I'll be joining you in a purchase.
    95 S2 Avant Ming Blue - now gone and sorley missed:cry:
    2001 B5 RS4 Santorin Blue - MRC'd - now here:chit:
    88 Ur MB Quattro -Pearl White - The daddy!:cool:

Classic S2 Avant billboard ad - "My other car's a Porsche, but today I'm in a hurry"

Comment

im sure its your power steering. could be a bearing but there was no unusual or excessive play in them when i checked. you might want to just check the tension on the power steering belt. it should be spot on but its worth a look.
      Simon.
      S.P.S. TUNING
      '93 ABY S2.... sold
      me thinks RR URQ next :mischeif:

Comment

Originally posted by sps-si
        im sure its your power steering. could be a bearing but there was no unusual or excessive play in them when i checked. you might want to just check the tension on the power steering belt. it should be spot on but its worth a look.

yup - i had a similar prob with my previous 20v quattro - turns out the power steering pump was on its way out.... nasty business as pumps are quite costly on these cq20v / s2 - better off looking at secondhand /recon.

Suggestions:
        If ur vehicle makes the same noise on standstill whilst turning steering from left to right - its the pump (or connected belt), also check for oil leaks around the pump (i understand you can now buy a washer kit for these also - would require some research).

hope this helps.

Comment

Think i'll change the pas pump and see if the situation improves. Needs changing anyway so may as well. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

My car has a speed related whine which is I believe the diff bearings on the CQ20V. This is present whatever direction I head. The car has done 22,500 miles and I have had to replace a wheel bearing due to a kerbing accident. It's not always related to miles. If you go down a long straight flat road ( motorway?) then veer gently from one side to another, see if the noise comes and goes. I told a friend of mine that his rear bearing was going in his mondeo a year before the garage found play in the bearing. I could hear it when he went round bends.

Sad really...

David

Comment

I get told off for that, picking up faults on other peoples cars. If a car goes past and i hear something i have to listen to diagnose what is causing it. Wheel bearings are a common thing-my friends hate me for it.
              Graham
              Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

@ stick insect, is your diff noise a wub wub wub sound at a certain speed? I have this noise but youcan only hear it at about 40mph, dealer said it nothing to worry about, been there for an age and doesnt seem to have got any worse
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                X